The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched a major and unique initiative of online professional development of 1.5 million higher education faculty using the MOOCs platform SWAYAM.
In the first phase of the initiative, 75 discipline-specific National Resource Centres (NRC) have been identified.
According to an official Ministry notification, centres under the Ministry’s Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching located in Central Universities, IITs, NITs, State Universities, UGC’s Human Resource Development Centres, National Institutes for Technical Teachers Training, IIITs, Open Universities and other institutions have been notified as NRCs.
• The NRCs have been tasked with preparing online training material with major focus on latest developments in the discipline, new and emerging trends, pedagogical improvements and methodologies for transacting revised curriculum.
• The centres will cover wide-ranging disciplines including social sciences, sciences, engineering and technology, design and manufacturing, humanities, language teaching, commerce, management, education planning and administration, public policy and other disciplines.
• The initiative will benefit the faculty, as it would be highly flexible and can be done at one’s own pace and time.
• Under the initiative, all in-service teachers, irrespective of their subject and seniority, will have the opportunity to be updated with the latest developments in their disciplines through the technology-based online refresher course.
• The NRCs will develop the Refresher Module which will include the latest trends in their earmarked discipline by June 15 each year.
When will the course material be uploaded?
• The training materials under the initiative will be uploaded and made available through SWAYAM platform to all the teachers with effect from October 1 every year.
• Based on the response the course received, it can be repeated in the following January.
• The centres will publish the list of the faculty who have been certified by December 31, 2018.
The NRCs will revolutionise the professional development of faculty by catering to massive numbers by leveraging information and communication technology (ICT) and online technology platform of SWAYAM.
• SWAYAM is a programme initiated by the Union Government to achieve the three cardinal principles of education policy - access, equity and quality.
• The objective of the initiative is to take the best teaching learning resources to all, including the most disadvantaged.
• The platform seeks to bridge the digital divide for students who have up till now remained untouched by the digital revolution and have not been able to join the mainstream of the knowledge economy.
• It works through an indigenously developed IT platform, which facilitates hosting of all the courses that are taught in the classrooms from 9th class till post-graduation.
• The courses can be accessed by anyone, anywhere and at any time.
• Besides, all the courses are interactive, prepared by the best teachers in the country and are available, free of cost to the all residents in India.
• More than 1,000 specially chosen faculty and teachers from across the Country have participated in preparing the courses.
Who: HRD Ministry
Why: For faculty