ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 begins! Have a look at these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the cricket World Cup, know who have been the record-breakers and who have won the most titles!
ICC World Cup 2019: The 12th edition of the quadrennial event, ICC World Cup begins on May 30! The teams are all ready, players are prepped up and viewers are pepped up. As we gear up for the 2019 cricket World Cup, have a look at these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. When will the ICC World Cup 2019 begin?
Answer: The ICC World Cup 2019 will begin on May 30.
2. Who is hosting ICC World Cup 2019?
Answer: The 2019 World Cup will be hosted by England and Wales.
3. Which teams will be playing the first match?
Answer: Team England will play the first match at the ICC World Cup against South Africa at Kennington Oval, London.
4. When will Team India play its first match at the tournament?
Answer: Team India will commence its ICC World Cup campaign on June 5 against South Africa at the Rose Bowl, Southampton.
5. How many total matches will be held in ICC World Cup 2019?
Answer: There would be 48 matches in total in the World Cup.
6. Which all team will be playing in the ICC World Cup 2019?
Answer: The ICC World Cup will see participation from teams of 10 nations - England (host), New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and West Indies.
7. Will 2019 ICC World Cup see a match between India & Pakistan?
Answer: Yes, the India vs Pakistan big-ticket match will take place on June 16.
8. When will the 2019 ICC World Cup finals be held?
Answer: The World Cup final will be held on July 14.
9. Is ICC World Cup held annually?
Answer: No, the ICC Cricket World Cup (CWC) takes place every four years.
10. What is the criterion for selection of teams at the ICC World Cup?
Answer: The top 8 teams of the ‘ICC One-Day rankings’ at the given point of time qualify automatically for the ICC World Cup and the final two teams are selected from the ‘ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier’ which is held a year prior to the Cricket World Cup.
11. What is the format of the ICC World Cup 2019?
Answer: The ICC World Cup 2019 will be played in a Round Robin Format on the lines of 1992 World Cup. There would be a total 48 matches, of which, 45 will be in the group stage. Each of the ten teams will play 9 group stage matches, among which, the top four teams will progress to the semi-finals.
12. Which team could not qualify for the ICC World Cup 2019 for the first time since its first appearance?
Answer: Zimbabwe could not make it to the ICC World Cup 2019 after having qualified for 9 consecutive World Cups since 1983, the year when the team made its first ever appearance.
13. What is the prize money of the ICC World Cup?
Answer: The International Cricket Council awards a total prize money pool of USD 10 million in the tournament. The Winner gets USD 4 million; runner ups get USD 2 million; Losing semi-finalists get USD 800,000; Winners of each group stage match get USD 40,000 and teams that fail to qualify for the semi-finals get USD 100,000.
14. Which team won the 2015 ICC World Cup?
Answer: Australia won the last held cricket World Cup 2015.
15. How many ICC World Cups are won by India?
Answer: Team India has won the ICC Cricket World Cup twice, once in 1983 and later in 2011.
16. When was the first ever ICC Cricket World Cup tournament held?
Answer: The first Cricket World Cup was held in 1975 in England. It was played as a series of one-day matches of 60 overs per side.
17. Which team won the three consecutive ICC World Cup tournaments?
Answer: Australia won the three consecutive World Cup tournaments held in 1999, 2003 and 2007.
18. Which player has made the most runs in the ICC World Cup tournaments?
Answer: India’s Sachin Tendulkar has made the most runs in the World Cup tournaments. He has made 2,278 runs in 6 world cups.
19. Who claimed the highest number of wickets in the World Cup tournaments?
Answer: Glenn McGrath of Australia has claimed the highest number of wickets, that is, 71.
20. Which team has won the most titles of the ICC World Cup?
Answer: Australia has won 5 titles in the history of ICC World Cup.