India beat Malaysia with 2-1 in the final to clinch Asia Cup in Dhaka on 22 October 2017. On the other hand, Pakistan won bronze after beating out Korea 6-3. With this win, India ended its wait of 10 long years to win the Asia Cup. India scored from field efforts through Ramandeep Singh and Lalit Upadhyay to win the coveted title against Malaysia.
It last clinched the trophy in 2003 and 2007 in Kuala Lumpur and Chennai respectively.
This victory came as a perfect maiden start for India’s new coach Marijne Sjoerd.
The Indian strike force boasts of Ramandeep Singh, Akashdeep Singh, Lalit Upadahay and Chinglensana Singh. The midfield has been controlled by Sardar Singh and skipper Manpreet Singh. And the backline have been under guard of Amit Rohidas, Harmanpreet Singh and young Dipsan Tirkey.
About Asian Hockey Federation:
• The Asian Hockey Federation governs the international men's and women's field hockey tournament.
• It was introduced in 1982 for men's competition and the women's competition was added in 1983 as a non-official championship and made an official tournament in 1985.
• South Korea has been the most successful team with 4 titles in Men's and 3 titles in Women's competition.
• India has reached the most number of finals in Men's (8 times).
• India ranked 6 in World Hockey.