India and Belarus on 12 September 2017 signed 10 Memorandums of Understanding to expand cooperation in a range of areas including oil and gas, youth affairs and sports, skill development and entrepreneurship, scientific and technical cooperation, agricultural research and education and culture.
The pacts were signed following delegation level talks between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting Belarus President Aleksander Grigoryevich Lukashenko in New Delhi.
In a joint statement, the two leaders reviewed the architecture of India-Belarus partnership and exchanged ideas to expand it. The two leaders further agreed to scale up the partnership and diversify economic linkage with focus on natural complementarities between the two nations and released a commemorative postage stamp to mark the 25th anniversary of India-Belarus diplomatic relationships.
Besides this, Modi said that India will encourage joint development and manufacturing with Belarus in Defence sector under Make in India programme and added that technology development centres will be opened in India to showcase Belarus technology.
Following is the list of 10 MoUs signed by the two nations:
1. Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Belarus.
2. Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship of the Government of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Education of the Government of the Republic of Belarus for Cooperation in the Field of Vocational Education and Training.
3. Agreement on Scientific and Technical Cooperation between Indian National Science Academy (INSA) and the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus.
4. MoU between Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, India and Belarusian State Agricultural Academy, Gorki, Belarus for Cooperation in Agricultural Research and Education.
5. Protocol amending the Agreement between the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmer’s Welfare of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Agriculture and Food of the Republic of Belarus signed on 16 April 2007.
6. Programme of cooperation between the Government of Republic of India and the Government of Republic of Belarus in the field of culture for 2018-2020.
7. MoU between M/o Petroleum & Natural Gas of the Republic of India and Belarusian State Concern of Oil and Chemistry in the Oil and Gas Sector.
8. Memorandum of Understanding between JSV "Belzarubezhstroy” and National Buildings Construction Corporation Ltd.
9. Memorandum of Understanding between JSC Belarusian Potash Company (BPC) and Indian Potash Ltd (IPL).
10. Agreement on the implementation of MoU signed between OJSC Minsk Tractor Works and Kirloskar Oil Engines Ltd. India in Pune.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.