India and Tajikistan on 17 December 2016 signed 4 agreements to boost bilateral relations. The agreements/Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) were signed in New Delhi during the State visit of Tajikistan president Emomali Rahmon.
Details related to the agreements/MoUs
1. A Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the Committee of television and radio of Tajikistan and the Prasar Bharati for cooperation on broadcasting in exchange of audio visual programs.
Prasar Bharati is the public service broadcaster of the country that manages All India Radio and Doordarshan.
2. A protocol was signed that seeks to amend the agreement between Tajikistan and India for the avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
3. A MoU was signed between the Financial Intelligence Unit of India and the Financial Monitoring Department of Tajikistan concerning cooperation in the exchange of financial intelligence to deal with crimes related to money laundering and financing of terrorism.
4 . An agreement was signed to initiate bilateral investment treaty between both the countries. The treaty will improve ease of doing business environment in India.
• Relations between India and Tajikistan have been close and cordial since the formation of Republic of Tajikistan from the erstwhile Union of Soviet Socialist Republic (USSR) in 1991.
• India and Tajikistan elevated their bilateral relations to the level of a strategic partnership during the visit of Tajikistan President Emomali Rahmon to India in 2012.
• The strategic partnership encompasses cooperation in a wide spectrum of areas, including political, economic, education, health, human resource development, defence, counterterrorism, science and technology, culture and tourism.
• Tajikistan played a supportive role in India’s accession to the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) in June 2016.
• Tajikistan is supportive of India’s permanent membership to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: New Delhi
When: 17 December 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.