India to host 2018 Theatre Olympics for first time
This 8th edition of Theatre Olympics will host 450 shows in 17 different Indian cities including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru and Chennai.
Union Tourism and Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma on February 13, 2018 announced that India will host the 8th edition of Theatre Olympics 2018 from February 17 to April 8, 2018. Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu will inaugurate the Theatre Olympics at the majestic Red Fort in New Delhi.
The theatrical extravaganza will be organized by the National School of Drama under the aegis of Union Ministry of Culture with a total budget of Rs 51.81 crore.
This Global Theatre Festival will be held in India for the first time.
Theme of Theatre Olympics 2018
The theme of the 8th Theatre Olympics will be “Flag of Friendship” that aims to bridge borders and bring people of different cultures, beliefs and ideologies together through the medium of theatrical art.
The event will witness performances in 30 different Indian languages, 15 foreign languages as well as in non-verbal languages.
Events of Theatre Olympics 2018
• The 51 days long event will travel to 17 Indian cities with 450 shows, 600 ambience performances and 250 power packed youth forum shows.
• 25000 artists from across the globe will participate in the festival which will conclude on April 8, 2018 with a grand ceremony at the iconic Gateway of India in Mumbai.
• Numerous allied activities like exhibitions, symposia, workshops with well-known academicians, authors, actors, designers and directors will be held. The allied programs will boast of 60 ‘Living Legends’ series and 50 ‘Master Classes’.
• It will also witness 2 international seminars in Delhi and Mumbai with 6 national seminars in Bhopal, Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Jaipur, Kolkata and Varanasi.
• Plays will be held in Agartala, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Imphal, Jaipur, Jammu, Kolkata, Mumbai, Patna, Thiruvananthapuram and Varanasi.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Who all will be participating in Theatre Olympics 2018?
• Participants from 30 countries including Australia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan, Lithuania, Mauritius, Nepal, Poland, Russia, Sri Lanka, South Korea, Spain, Turkey, U.K and U.S.A would showcase their expertise in theatre.
• The foreign invitees are Theodoros Terzopoulos (Greece), Tadashi Suzuki (Japan), Robert Wilson (U.S.A), Liu Libin (China), Jaroslaw Fret (Poland), SahikaTekand (Turkey), Eugenio Barba (Denmark), Romeo Castellucci (Italy), Heiner Goebbels (Germany), PippoDelbono (Italy), Jan Fabre (Belgium).
• Indian theatre maestros that will be participating are RatanThiyam, AlyquePadamsee, Rudra Prasad Sengupta, MK Raina, Raj Bisaria, Bansi Kaul, Tripurari Sharma, Maya Rao and Soumitra Chatterjee.
• Theatre and film veterans including Shabana Azmi, Paresh Rawal, Manoj Joshi, Himani Shivpuri, Seema Biswas and Saurabh Shukla will take part during this grand theatrical treat.
About Theatre Olympics
• The Theatre Olympics was established in 1993 at Delphi, Greece.
• It is a platform for theatrical exchange, a gathering place for students and masters, where a dialogue despite ideological, culture and language differences, is encouraged.
• Since 1993, the Theatre Olympics has been held in Japan (1999), Russia (2001), Turkey (2006), South Korea (2010), China (2014), Poland (2016).