India to host World Environment Day 2018
World Environment Day is a UN Environment-led global event, the single largest celebration of environment each year, which takes place on June 5 and is celebrated by thousands of communities worldwide.
Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr Harsh Vardhan on February 19, 2018 announced that India will be the Global Host for the World Environment Day 2018.
In this regard, a Letter of Intent was signed by CK Mishra, Secretary, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and Erik Solheim, Under-Secretary General, United Nations & Executive Director of UN Environment.
Theme of World Environment Day 2018
World Environment Day 2018 will be celebrated across the globe with the theme ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
Plastic is a huge environmental and health issue and the day will be observed with the main focus on creating mass awareness about the hazards of plastic pollution.
'Beat Plastic Pollution' urges governments, industry, communities, and individuals to reduce the production and excessive use of single-use plastic polluting the oceans, damaging marine life and threatening human health.
Few Facts on Plastic Pollution
• Every year, world uses 500 billion plastic bags and at least 8 million tonnes of plastic end up in the oceans, the equivalent of a full garbage truck every minute.
• 50 percent of the plastic we use is single-use or disposable plastic.
• Over 1 million plastic bottles are purchased in every one minute.
• Plastic makes up 10 per cent of all of the waste generated in the world.
World Environment Day 2018
World Environment Day 2018 will be celebrated across India, involving all States and Union Territories, districts, local bodies and organizations.
A week-long environmental awareness campaign and pollution mitigation activities will be held in Delhi and other parts of the country from June 1-5, 2018.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
World Environment Day (WED)
• World Environment Day (WED) is celebrated every year on June 5.
• The day is celebrated to bring environmental concerns into the mainstream of the national developmental effort and also to bring people to the front of environmental conservation.
• The day, that began in 1974, is a flagship campaign for raising awareness on emerging environmental issues from marine pollution to global warming, to wildlife crime and sustainable consumption.
• Every World Environment Day has a different global host country, where the official celebrations take place. This year, India will be the global host for the Day.
• For the year 2017, Canada was the Global Host country for the celebrations of World Environment Day.