The Indian men's 4x400m relay team on 12 June 2016 created a new national record, clocking 3:02.17 at the International Sprint and Relay Teams Cup at Erzurum, Turkey.
The team improved the previous record of 3:02.62 set at the 1998 Asian Games in Bangkok.
On the other hand, the Indian women's 4x400m relay team clocked 3:30.16 and jumped to world No 12 in the rankings. In the 2016 South Asian Games, the women's relay team finished the race with a timing of 3:35.44 to win the gold. They also recorded their fastest time of 3:29.08 in the 2016 IAAF World Championships which took place in Beijing.
About 4x400 metres relay
• The 4×400 metres relay or long relay is an athletics track event in which teams consist of four runners who each complete 400 metres or one lap.
• It is traditionally the final event of a track meet.
• Relay race runners typically carry a relay baton which they must transfer between teammates.
• Runners have a 20 m box in which to transfer the baton.
• Unlike the 4 × 100 m relay, runners in the 4 × 400 typically look back and grasp the baton from the incoming runner.
• Internationally, the U.S. men's team has dominated the event, but have been challenged by Jamaica in the 1950s and Britain in the 1990s.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 12 June 2016