Indian Railways on 5 December 2016 announced that the reservation of rail tickets for senior citizens will be directly linked to Aadhaar or Unique Identification (UID) cards from 1 April 2017 onwards on a mandatory basis for availing concessions at both counter and e-tickets.
This Aadhaar-based ticketing system for senior citizens will be implemented in a two-phased manner. Accordingly, from 1 January to 31 March 2017, requirement of Aadhaar verification for getting concessional tickets for senior citizens will be optional.
However, from 1 April 2017, such a requirement will become mandatory.
Highlights of the Aadhaar-based ticketing system
- It is seen as a valuable measure designed to restructure the reservation process for people in 'Senior Citizen' category.
- This will put an end to fraudulent bookings and curb cases of impersonation.
- Passengers in the senior citizen category shall carry the original documents including Aadhaar card for the purpose of identity proof.
- However, there will be no change in procedure with regard to concession to senior citizens in unreserved ticketing.
- It will stop unauthorised agents from booking tickets in fake names and then selling these at a higher price.
Procedure for authentication of Aadhaar details on the IRCTC website
- The first and foremost task is to log-in using User ID and password on the IRCTC ticketing website.
- Then, you need to click on 'Master List' under 'My Profile' Menu.
- While adding new senior citizen passenger in the Master List, one needs to provide correct and complete details like name, date of birth and gender as mentioned in the Aadhaar Card.
- Thereafter, you need to select Senior Citizen Concession Option as Yes/No, ID card type and provide Aadhaar number.
- Hence, passenger will be then added in the Master List by just clicking on the 'Add Passenger' button.
Earlier, Indian Railways also made it mandatory for senior citizen to undergo advance verification through Aadhaar card by submitting Aadhaar card details online on the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) website with effect from 1 December 2016 onwards.