John Lang, the person, who filed a petition in 1854 on behalf of Rani of Jhansi Lakshmibai against the East India Company (EIC), was in news recently.
He was in news because Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 18 November 2014 gifted Australian lawyer John Lang’s 1854 petition against the East India Company (EIC) on behalf of Rani Lakshmibai to his Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott.
The petition of 1854 was gifted to Abbot in Canberra during PM Modi’s visit to Australia. He is the first Indian prime minister to visit Australia in 28 years after Rajiv Gandhi in 1986.
Lang in 1854 became the counsel of Lakshmibai, an iconic figure in the Indian uprising of 1857 against the East India Company's rule. He represented Rani Lakshmibai in legal battles against the Company.
About John Lang
• John Lang was an Australian lawyer and was generally regarded as Australia’s first native novelist
• He was born in 1816 in Sydney, Australia
• He was a lawyer, traveler and journalist
• He sailed to India in 1842 and then made India as his new home
• In 1845, he started a newspaper named The Moffusilite, published initially from Meerut and later from Mussoorie. Often, the paper took a critical stance against East India Company’s harmful policies following which he was sued and briefly jailed by the company
• Lang died in the hill station of Mussoorie, India, and is buried in Camel's Back Cemetery
Some of his books were
a) The Wetherbys (1853)
b) Too Clever by Half (1853)
c) Too Much Alike (1854)
d) The Forger's Wife (1855)
e) Captain Macdonald (1856)
f) Will He Marry Her (1858)
g) The Ex-Wife (1858)
h) My Friend's Wife (1859)
i) The Secret Police (1859)
j) True Stories of the Early Days of Australia (1859)
Where: in Canberra
When: 18 November 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Eight-foot bronze statue of World War II Indian pilot Mohinder Singh Pujji unveiled in UK
PV Sindhu won 2014 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton Title
CERN scientists discovered two subatomic particles belonging to the family of baryon
Book titled Letters for a Nation written by Jawaharlal Nehru & Madhav Khosla