The Union government on 8 August 2017 appointed Justice Dipak Misra as the 45th Chief Justice of India (CJI). Justice Misra will be sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India by President Ram Nath Kovind on 27 August 2017.
He will succeed incumbent Justice J S Khehar, who is set to retire on 27 August 2017. Misra's name was recommended by Justice Khehar himself to succeed him as the next Chief Justice of India.
With this, Justice Misra became the third person from Odisha to be appointed as the Chief Justice of India after Justices Ranganath Misra and G B Pattanaik.
Justice Misra is currently serving as the Executive Chairman of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA). He will retire on 2 October 2018.
Justice Dipak Misra's landmark Judgements
• In May 2017, Justice Misra authored the landmark judgement confirming the death penalty of four convicts in the brutal Nirbhaya gangrape and murder case.
• He was also part of the Supreme Court Bench who convicted then Calcutta High Court judge Justice CS Karnan of contempt of court and sentenced him to 6 months imprisonment.
• Justice Misra also led the Bench while ruling that patrons should stand up in respect, when the National Anthem and National Flag are featured before shows in cinema theatres.
• Justice Misra is presently hearing a slew of important cases including the BCCI case for transparency in Indian cricket administration, right of women to equally access Sabarimala temple in Kerala and complicated Ramjanmabhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute.
About Justice Dipak Misra
• Justice Dipak Misra enrolled as an advocate on 14 February 1977.
• He was appointed as an Additional Judge of the Orissa High Court in 1996.
• Later, he became a Permanent Judge in December 1997 before assuming charge as the Chief Justice of Patna High Court in 2009.
• He also served as Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court.
• Justice Misra was elevated to the Supreme Court on 10 October 2011.
Who: Justice Dipak Misra
When: 8 August 2017
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider