Commonwealth badminton doubles gold medallist Jwala Gutta in the second week of March 2017 was included as a member of the governing body of the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
In addition, BV Papa Rao, IAS (retired), was also added to the newly constituted governing body. He has the experience of being an officer on special duty of SAI from 1985 to 1990. At present, he is a sports administrator and advisor to Telangana Government.
About Jwala Gutta
• Jwala Gutta is a left-handed Indian badminton player.
• She is India’s most successful doubles specialist.
• She has won the National Badminton Championships fourteen times.
• She has won numerous medals for Indian badminton including the bronze medal BWF World Championships in 2011 and a gold and silver at 2010 and 2014 Commonwealth Games respectively in women's doubles.
• In 2011, she was awarded the Arjuna Award, India's second highest sporting award, for her achievements.
About Sports Authority of India
• The Sports Authority of India is an apex National Sports body.
• It was set up in 1984 by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India.
• It was instituted for broad basing and bringing excellence in sports across India.
• SAI has 9 Regional Centres, which are located at Bengaluru, Gandhinagar, Chandigarh,Kolkata, Imphal, Guwahati, Bhopal, Mumbai,Lucknow and Sonepat.
• It has two Academic institutions, which are Netaji Subhash National Institute of Sports (NS NIS), Patiala and Laxmibai National College of Physical Education (LNCPE), Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala).
Who: Jwala Gutta