Kerala cartoonist V T Thomas, popularly known as Toms, passed away on 27 April 2016 following a brief illness at in Kottayam, Kerela. He was 86. He is survived by his wife Thresyakutty and children Boban, Molly, Rani, Peter, Bose, Princy.
Toms created the legendary cartoon characters Boban and Molly (Bobanum Moliyum).
About V T Thomas
• He was born in 1929 in Kuttanad in Alappuzha district and initially served the British Army.
• After serving with the British Army, he turned into the world of cartoons.
• Initially Boban and Molly characters appeared in a cartoon column Sathyadeepam weekly in 1950. Later on these characters became part of Malayala Manorama weekly in 1957.
• He resigned from Malayala Manorama in 1987 and began his own publication.
• Apart from Bobanum Moliyum, the characters which weaved magic in Toms' creative world were the of the kids lawyer Pothen, the flirty Appy Hippy, the nincompoop panchayat president Ittunnan (chettan) and so on.
Story of Boban and Molly
The famous characters Toms created, Boban and Molly, were the children of his neighbour. He visualised the characters based on these two persons.
The whole story of Boban and Molly was held in an imaginary village called Kizhakkamthookku. He described the issues faced by the middle class and the day to day political developments through his cartoon column.
Toms also named his son and daughter as Boban and Molly.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App