Lady Irwin College, Ministry of Rural Development sign MoU for establishing ROSHNI
Roshni aims to work with women collectives for social action on FHNW interventions for supporting implementation of convergent action plan under POSHAN Abhiyaan. Roshni will learn from Swabhimaan and similar models, and extend support to DAY-NRLM for expanding the scope of FHNW interventions.
The Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM), under the Union Ministry of Rural Development signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Lady Irwin College for establishing ROSHNI - Centre of Women Collectives led Social Action.
ROSHNI is technically and financially supported by UNICEF India that also serves as a technical support unit at national level for DAY-NRLM and is embedded in the Department of Development Communication and Extension, Lady Irwin College, New Delhi.
• Though India has made significant strides in improving maternal survival, many challenges still persist for women to achieve their development and economic potential.
• Almost one in 10 girls marry too young, every fifth woman of reproductive age group is undernourished and every second woman is anaemic.
• A model that brings the much needed focus on women’s nutrition and that demonstrates layering of of Food, Health, Nutrition and WASH (FHNW) interventions on DAY-NRLM platforms is Swabhimaan.
• Swabhimaan makes the last mile delivery of FHNW interventions, which has been considered a voluntary function for field mobilisers for too long.
• Launched in 2016, Swabhimaan is a collaborative initiative of DAY- NRLM and UNICEF India in five poorest DAY-NRLM resource blocks in four districts of three Indian states Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Odisha.
• Roshni aims to work with women collectives for social action on FHNW interventions for supporting implementation of convergent action plan under POSHAN Abhiyaan.
• Roshni will learn from Swabhimaan and similar models, and extend support to DAY-NRLM for expanding the scope of FHNW interventions.
• The Centre will lead knowledge creation, capacity building for scale-up of convergent action plan, learning and re- learning in Swabhimaan sites and provide policy guidance to DAY-NRLM on POSHAN Abhiyaan initiatives.
Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM)
• The Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihood Mission was launched as the Aajeevika - National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) in 2011.
• DAY-NRLM aims to reach out to 8-10 crore rural poor households (based on SECC 2011) in a time bound manner, and, stay engaged with them till they come out of miserable poverty.
• It envisions breaking the cycle of malnutrition-illness- out of pocket expenditure for treating poverty through its savings and enterprise approach and layering of Food, Health, Nutrition and WASH (FHNW) interventions through Self-help groups (SHG) and their federations.
• Since the launch of DAY-NRLM, 5.39 crore women have been mobilised for SHGs and over 47 lakh SHGs have been created.
• DAY-NRLM is also nodal agency of Ministry of Rural Development for implementation of the convergent action plan under the POSHAN Abhiyaan.
• The four areas of convergence under the POSHAN Abhiyaan are - mobilisation for fixed day health, nutrition and WASH camps (Village Health Sanitation and Nutrition Day), convergence through behaviour change communication, convergence through common use of infrastructure and promotion of nutri-based livelihoods for women collectives.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS