The Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM), under the Union Ministry of Rural Development signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Lady Irwin College for establishing ROSHNI - Centre of Women Collectives led Social Action.
ROSHNI is technically and financially supported by UNICEF India that also serves as a technical support unit at national level for DAY-NRLM and is embedded in the Department of Development Communication and Extension, Lady Irwin College, New Delhi.
• Though India has made significant strides in improving maternal survival, many challenges still persist for women to achieve their development and economic potential.
• Almost one in 10 girls marry too young, every fifth woman of reproductive age group is undernourished and every second woman is anaemic.
• A model that brings the much needed focus on women’s nutrition and that demonstrates layering of of Food, Health, Nutrition and WASH (FHNW) interventions on DAY-NRLM platforms is Swabhimaan.
• Swabhimaan makes the last mile delivery of FHNW interventions, which has been considered a voluntary function for field mobilisers for too long.
• Launched in 2016, Swabhimaan is a collaborative initiative of DAY- NRLM and UNICEF India in five poorest DAY-NRLM resource blocks in four districts of three Indian states Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Odisha.
• Roshni aims to work with women collectives for social action on FHNW interventions for supporting implementation of convergent action plan under POSHAN Abhiyaan.
• Roshni will learn from Swabhimaan and similar models, and extend support to DAY-NRLM for expanding the scope of FHNW interventions.
• The Centre will lead knowledge creation, capacity building for scale-up of convergent action plan, learning and re- learning in Swabhimaan sites and provide policy guidance to DAY-NRLM on POSHAN Abhiyaan initiatives.
Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM)
• The Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihood Mission was launched as the Aajeevika - National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) in 2011.
• DAY-NRLM aims to reach out to 8-10 crore rural poor households (based on SECC 2011) in a time bound manner, and, stay engaged with them till they come out of miserable poverty.
• It envisions breaking the cycle of malnutrition-illness- out of pocket expenditure for treating poverty through its savings and enterprise approach and layering of Food, Health, Nutrition and WASH (FHNW) interventions through Self-help groups (SHG) and their federations.
• Since the launch of DAY-NRLM, 5.39 crore women have been mobilised for SHGs and over 47 lakh SHGs have been created.
• DAY-NRLM is also nodal agency of Ministry of Rural Development for implementation of the convergent action plan under the POSHAN Abhiyaan.
• The four areas of convergence under the POSHAN Abhiyaan are - mobilisation for fixed day health, nutrition and WASH camps (Village Health Sanitation and Nutrition Day), convergence through behaviour change communication, convergence through common use of infrastructure and promotion of nutri-based livelihoods for women collectives.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week