Lok Sabha passed Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2016
The Regional centre will provide masters and doctoral degrees, and post-graduate diplomas in biotechnology and related subjects.
The Lok Sabha on 25 April 2016 passed the Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2016 to provide statutory status to the existing Regional Centre for Biotechnology in Faridabad, Haryana.
The Bill seeks to provide the status of national importance to the Centre for facilitating transfer of technology and knowledge and making it a hub for biotechnology expertise in the Asian region.
Provisions of the Bill
• Disseminate knowledge by providing teaching and research facilities in biotechnology and related fields
• Create a hub of biotechnology expertise
• Facilitate transfer of technology and knowledge in the SAARC region and generally Asia.
• Promote cooperation at the international level.
• The centre, located in Faridabad in Haryana, will be a state of the art institute and a regional hub for interdisciplinary education, training and research in biotechnology.
• The Regional centre will provide masters and doctoral degrees, and post-graduate diplomas in biotechnology and related subjects.
• It will have Board of Governors, Programme Advisory Committee, Executive Committee and Finance Committee etc as authorities responsible for its administration and functioning.
In 2006, India had entered into an agreement with the UNESCO regarding establishment of the Regional Centre to serve the member countries of UNESCO.
In this regard, the Union government through an executive order had established the Regional Centre for Biotechnology Training and Education in Faridabad, Haryana in 2009.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App