26 November: National Milk Day
The National Milk Day (NMD) was on 26 November 2015 observed across India to mark 94th birth anniversary of the Father of the White Revolution Dr Verghese Kurien.
About National Milk Day
• The idea of observing National Milk Day was first mooted by Indian Dairy Association (IDA) in 2014 on the lines of World Milk Day that is observed on 1 June every year under the aegis of UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
• The first NMD was observed on 26 November 2014 by all Indian diary sector majors including National Dairy Development Board (NDDB), IDA along with around 22 state level milk federations.
About Dr Verghese Kurien
• Dr. Verghese Kurien is also known as the Milkman of India and the architect of Operation Flood, the idea that transformed India from a milk-deficit country into the world’s largest milk producer.
• He founded around 30 institutions of excellence (like AMUL, GCMMF, IRMA, NDDB) which are owned, managed by farmers and run by professionals.
• Kurien was pioneer in establishment and success of the Amul brand of dairy products. Under his chairmanship, Amul achieved key invention of milk powder processed from buffalo milk.
• In 1963, he received Ramon Magsaysay Award and in 1989, he was named for the World Food Prize by World Food Prize, USA.
• He was conferred with Padma Shri in 1965, Padma Bhushan in 1966 and Padma Vibhushan in 1999 by Government of India.
• Kurien died on 9 September 2012, at the age of 90.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.