29 June: National Statistics Day of India
The National Statistics Day was observed across India on June 29, 2018 with an aim to create public awareness about the importance of statistics in socio-economic planning and policy formulation.
This year celebrations of the Day marked the closing ceremony of year long celebrations of 125th birth anniversary of Late Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis. June 29, 2017 marked the beginning of the 125th year of birth of Prof. Mahalanobis.
Theme 2018: Quality Assurance in Official Statistics
The theme selected for the 2018 Statistics Day was ‘Quality Assurance in Official Statistics’.
The theme seeks to highlight the importance of compliance with essential parameters of quality in statistical systems and products.
How the Day was celebrated?
• Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation and Indian Statistical Institute jointly celebrated the Statistics Day and the closing ceremony of the 125th birth of Prof. P. C. Mahalanobis.
• The celebrations were attended by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi, Union Minister for Statistics & Programme Implementation DV Sadananda Gowda, ISI President Dr. Vijay Kelkar and ISI Council Chairman Prof Goverdhan Mehta.
• On the same occasion, Vice President released a commemorative coin of Rs 125 and circulation coin of Rs 5 denomination to pay homage to Prof. Mahalanobis.
• He also felicitated the winners of Prof. P.V. Sukhatme Award 2018 and Prof. C.R. Rao Award 2017 for their notable contribution in the field of Statistics.
About Prof PC Mahalanobis
• He was born on 29 June 1893. He was an Indian Bengali scientist and applied statistician.
• He is best remembered for the Mahalanobis distance, a statistical measure.
• He made pioneering studies in anthropometry in India.
• As a member of Planning Commission, he gave the Two-sector Input-output model for the Second Five Year Plan (1956-61) which became famous as Nehru-Mahalanobis model or Basic Industry strategy of economic growth.
• He founded the Indian Statistical Institute, and contributed to the design of large-scale sample surveys.
About National Statistics Day
• In recognition of the notable contributions made by Late Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis in the fields of statistics, the Union Government in 2007 designated June 29 as the “Statistics Day” to be celebrated every year at the National level.
• The Day acknowledges the contribution of Prof. Mahalanobis and pays homage to him.
• Every year, one particular theme of current national importance is selected for focused discussions and efforts throughout the year to bring about improvements in the selected area.
• The Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), set up by Prof Mahalanobis in 1931 as an autonomous “Institute of National Importance” through an act of Parliament in 1959, celebrates June 29 as the “Worker Day”.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week