Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on 8 January 2016 laid down norms for erecting memorials of national leaders, freedom fighters, saints, historical personalities and politicians.
The state government has issued a Government Resolution (GR) that lays down the norms and guidelines for the construction of memorials. The GR said the guidelines are only meant for memorials of national leaders and venerable leaders.
Major highlights of the Resolution
• There will not be more than two memorials of a national leader in the state.
• These two memorials will be erected in two separate administrative divisions.
• If any monument is constructed without prior approval of the state Urban Development Department, then such a structure shall be removed.
• The policy states that in case more than two memorials are to be erected, then it is the responsibility of the institution making such a demand to provide the land for it and bear its construction cost. The monetary assistance for its construction will not be provided by government.
• The memorial should not be just in the form of a statue, but should be constructed in the form of schools, colleges, hospitals, multipurpose auditoriums, research centres, libraries, reading rooms, hostels and other institutions meant for public use.
• The memorials should be constructed in such a way that highlight the facets of the lives of the national leaders and venerated tall leaders.
The GR states that instead of constructing memorials attempts should be made to start new socially relevant schemes in the name of the national leaders.
The GR also states that in respect of memorials of other prominent personalities the respective concerned departments of Urban Development, Rural Development and Water Resources Department shall issue guidelines to this effect.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 8 January 2016