Veteran journalist, political analyst and comedian Cho S Ramaswamy passed away on 7 December 2016 following a prolonged illness at Apollo Hospital in Chennai. He was 82. He is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
He was the first to propose Narendra Modi as the Prime Ministerial candidate. He was also known to be very close to Late J Jayalalitha, CM of Tamil Nadu who died earlier this week, and also mentored her during her film career and continued to do the same even after she entered the politics.
About Cho S Ramaswamy
- Ramaswamy was a law graduate, a play writer and a stage actor and also directed several movies and was also a screen play writer.
- He practised law in the Madras High Court in 1957-63 and served as a legal adviser to TTK & Co, group Companies, till 1978.
- He was a member of the BRC cricket club which played in the II division of Madras Cricket Association (now Tamil Nadu Cricket Association) in the 1950's.
- He was nominated to the Rajya Sabha under the previous NDA government in 1999.
- He had acted in movies along with MG Ramachandran, Sivaji Ganesan, Jayalalithaa, Kamal Hassan, Rajinikanth and others.
- He had written, directed and acted in over 20 Tamil plays which were performed over 5000 times.
- He also acted in 180 movies, scripted 14 and directed four.
- He founded and edited the political magazine Thuglak magazine.