Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on 28 March 2016 dedicated the Pattiseema Lift Irrigation Project to the people of the state.
The project is situated at Pattiseema village of Polavaram mandal in West Godavari district. It started functioning on a full-scale as the installation of all 24 pump sets was completed on 24 March 2016.
Features of Pattiseema Lift Irrigation Project
• It seeks to link the two major rivers of the state – Godavari and Krishna – to benefit farmers of Krishna and Guntur districts.
• Its primary objective is to use Godavari’s flood waters for the stabilisation of Krishna delta region that faces acute shortage of water for irrigation from June to August.
• At present, an estimated 80 TMC of the 3000 TMC of the Godavari’s flood waters goes waste into the sea every year.
• Once the project is stabilised, the excess water will be diverted to drought prone Rayalaseema region.
• The construction of the project was completed at a faster pace. The first pump was commissioned and water was delivered from the Godavari into the Polavaram Right Main Canal, on 18 September 2015, within 161 days from laying the foundation.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 28 March 2016