The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi launched the Van Dhan Scheme of Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED on April 14, 2018, during the celebrations of Ambedkar Jayanti at Bijapur, Chattisgarh.
While speaking at the launch, the Prime Minister said that the Van Dhan scheme along with others like Jan Dhan and Gobar-Dhan schemes had the potential to change the tribal-rural economic system. Hence, he stated that all the three schemes need to be promoted by the state governments.
• Under Van Dhan, 10 Self Help Groups of 30 Tribal gatherers would be constituted.
• The groups will then be trained and provided with working capital to add value to the products that they collect from the jungle.
• These groups would then be able to market their products, by working under the leadership of collector, not only within the states but also outside the states.
• The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) would be providing all the required training and technical support.
• The SHGs will be appropriately trained on sustainable harvesting/collection, primary processing & value addition and be formed into clusters so as to aggregate their stock in tradable quantity and link them with the facility of primary processing in a Van Dhan Vikas Kendra.
• The stock after primary processing shall be supplied by these SHGs to the State Implementing Agencies or direct tie up for supply to the corporate secondary processor.
• Big corporates shall be involved under PPP model for the creation of secondary level value addition facility at district level and tertiary level value addition facility at the state level.
• The PPP model will be based on utilising Private entrepreneur skills in undertaking processing as well as marketing of the produce.
• The central and state government would provide support by creating infrastructure and providing enabling environment for undertaking value addition of systematic scientific lines.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Van Dhan Vikas Kendra
• The centre would be established under the scheme for providing skill upgradation and capacity building training and setting up of primary processing and value addition facility.
• The first model of the centre will be set up in Bijapur. It will be used for the training of 300 training beneficiaries.
• The funds allocated for the project include Rs 43.38 lakhs. It will be used for training, providing equipment & tools for primary level processing and infrastructure & building for housing the Kendra.
• The centre will initially start with a processing facility for Tamarind brick making, Mahua flower storage facility and chironjee cleaning and packaging.
• It is proposed to develop 30,000 such centres across the country.
The Van Dhan Vikas Kendras will be an important milestone in the economic development of tribals, as the centres will help them in optimum utilization of natural resources and provide a sustainable livelihood.
Who: PM Narendra Modi
What: Launches Van Dhan Scheme