Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is the third most followed leader on Twitter after US President Donald Trump and Pope Francis, as per a study by a global communications agency Burson Cohn & Wolfe (BCW).
On the other hand, India’s external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj is not only the most followed female world leader but also the most followed foreign minister in the world.
Most Followed World Leaders
• According to the study titled ‘Twiplomacy’, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi takes the third spot among the world’s most followed leaders with 42 million followers on his personal account.
• While US President Donald Trump is the most followed world leader with 52 million followers, Pope Francis is the second most followed leader with 47 million followers.
• However, Modi's institutional account @PMOIndia ranks fourth with over 26 million followers and it even outranks the official Twitter account of the US President, @POTUS, which ranks fifth and the official white house account, which ranks sixth, with over 23 million and 17 million followers respectively.
• Sushma Swaraj, who is also the most followed foreign minister, has over 11 million followers. She occupies the seventh spot in the overall ranking.
• Among foreign ministries, India stands third on Twitter with more than 1 million followers.
Most Influential Leaders
• In terms of influence on the microblogging site, with 52 million interactions over the past 12 months, Modi stands to be the second most influential leader in the world after US President Donald Trump.
• The study revealed that Trump is personally active on his own Twitter accounts and his tweets have generated 264 million interactions (likes and retweets) over the past 12 months, which is almost five times more than Modi.
Most Effective Leaders
• Considering the number of retweets as a measure of effectiveness, Saudi Arabia’s King Salman is the most effective world leader on Twitter.
• He has only tweeted 11 times between May 2017 and May 2018, but each of his tweets has received an average of 154,294 retweets. His posts are exclusively in Arabic and without any visuals.
• The personal Twitter account of President Trump is the second-most effective Twitter account of any world leader, considering that he receives an average of 20,319 retweets per tweet.
• Trump is followed by Pope Francis at the third place with around 14, 277 retweets.
According to the study, the heads of state and government and foreign ministers of 187 countries had a presence on Twitter as of May 18, 2018, representing 97 percent of all 193 UN member states.
The study identified 951 Twitter accounts, 372 personal and 579 institutional accounts, of heads of state and government and foreign ministers of 187 countries. Around 131 foreign ministries and 107 foreign ministers maintain active accounts on the platform. Even the Chinese government's State Council Information Office maintains a presence on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
The six countries, which do not have an official presence on the platform, include Laos, Mauritania, Nicaragua, North Korea, Swaziland, and Turkmenistan.
The study further revealed that Facebook is the second-most popular network among government leaders and it is where they have the biggest audiences. Instagram, on the other hand, has become the third-most popular social network for governments and 81 percent of all UN member states have set up an account, many of which are sharing daily Instagram stories.
• According to another study, technically, Facebook is the largest country in the world with 2.2 billion monthly active users.
• Since 2015, the number of users on Facebook has surpassed the population of China, the most populous country on earth and 1.4 billion people are active on the platform every day.
• As of March 15, 2018, the governments and leaders of 179 countries had an official presence on the social network, representing 93 percent of the 193 UN member states.
• The 650 Facebook personal and institutional pages of world leaders, governments and foreign ministries analysed in this study have a combined total of 309.4 million page likes as of March 15, 2018.
• Since January 1, 2017 they have published a total of 536,644 posts which have garnered close to 900 million interactions.
• Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has the biggest audience on Facebook, with more than 43.2 million page likes, almost half as many as US President Donald Trump who has 23.1 million page likes on his personal Facebook page.
Who: Narendra Modi
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports