PM Narendra Modi launches 'Saubhagya' scheme
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the ‘Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana-Saubhagya’ to mark the birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya. The scheme would provide subsidy on electrical equipments such as transformers, meters and wires.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a Rs. 16320-Crore ‘Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana'- Saubhagya on 25 September 2017 in New Delhi to mark the birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya. Through this scheme, the government would supply electricity to all household by the end of 2018.
Listed on the agenda of the Cabinet meeting held last week, the scheme is expected to cover all rural families after expected electrification of all villages by the end of 2018.
- This Saubhagya scheme is budgeteds to be Rs 16,320 crore, in which the division of funding is as follows: 60% Government of India grant, 10% Utilities/State contribution, 30% loans.
- The Eligibility for free electricity will be identified through Caste Census of 2011 and on the basis of Socio-Economic.
- The Households, which do not fall under the the free criteria of this scheme will be provided electricity at a sum of Rs 500. It will recovered through electricity bill in 10 installments.
- To identify and register beneficiaries under the Saubhagya scheme, A mobile app will be used.
- Households in remote areas like hilly or tribal areas where providing electricity is not feasibile, will be provided with solar power packs of 200 to 300 Wp (Watt peak). It comprises of Five LED lights, One DC fan, One DC power plug. It also includes the Repair and Maintenance (R&M) for 5 years.
- The Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) has been appointed as the nodal agency for the implementation of the Saubhagya scheme.
Aim & Objective
• The Yojana mainly aims to provide last mile power connectivity to all rural and urban households.
• The scheme would provide subsidy on electrical equipments such as transformers, meters and wires.
• The Yojana aims to re-enforce the centre’s target of achieving power for all.
(a) Environmental upgradation by substitution of Kerosene for lighting purposes
(b) Improvement education services
(c) Better health services
(d) Enhanced connectivity through radio, television, mobiles, etc.
(e) Increased economic activities and jobs
(f) Improved quality of life especially for women
How the scheme would be implemented in the entire country?
The project proposals would be prepared by the State DISCOMs / power department and sanctioned by an inter-ministerial Monitoring Committee headed by Secretary (Power), Government of India.
The electrification works under the sanctioned projects shall be executed by respective DISCOMs/Power Department through turnkey contractors or departmentally or through other suitable agencies capable of doing this work as per norms.
How many un-electrified households would be covered under the scheme?
There are about 4 Cr un-electrified households estimated in the country of which about 1 Cr BPL households in rural areas are already covered under sanctioned projects of DDUGJY.
Thus, total of 300 lakh households, 250 lakh households in rural areas and 50 lakh in urban areas are expected to be covered under the scheme.
Union Government launches Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhayay Vigyan Gram Sankul Pariyojana
Mary Kom to be AIBA representative at IOC Athletes’ Forum
The union government has been working to electrify all villages in the country and wants to achieve full-time power for all by 2019.
To achieve the same, the government has asked all the states to prepare electrification projects that would be discussed and approved for release of funds under the scheme.
Besides this, the Prime Minister would also formally inaugurate ONGC’s new corporate office that was renamed Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya Urja Bhawan, from Rajiv Gandhi Urja Bhawan. The green-building, which was built at a cost of Rs 600 Cr, was completed a year ago.
Further, Modi would also be unveiling a statue of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS