Pokemon Go to make its India debut
The location based augmented reality game is entering the Indian market in partnership with telecom operator Reliance Jio. All Reliance digital stores will be designated as 'PokeStops'.
Pokemon Go, the game that has hooked the attention of millions of people worldwide since its launch in July 2016, is finally going to make its debut in India.
It will be entering the India market on 14 December 2016 in partnership with telecom operator Reliance Jio.
• It will be available for download on Google Play and App store.
• All the Reliance digital stores and a select of its partner locations will be designated as 'PokeStops' or 'Gyms'.
• Owners of Jio Sim will be able to download and play the game without paying any data charges till 31 March 2017.
• Jio users will also have access to an exclusive Pokemon Go Channel through its social messaging app JioChat, which will enable the game’s users to collaborate and form a community of players.
This news comes as a relief to thousands of Pokemon Go players in India. Though until now the game was not officially available in the country it didn’t stop Indians from playing it. Fans downloaded it anyway using other means.
However, its official launch will make the downloading process easier and it will also make crossing game levels a smooth process, especially with the increase in PokeStops and Gyms.
Despite its innovative and interactive concept, the game has attracted a lot of controversies. Its users being fully engrossed in the game have often met with accidents or stumbled into dangerous locations or become a public nuisance, leading some countries to ban it altogether.
About Pokemon Go
• It is a location-based augmented reality game, which has been developed in collaboration between Niantic and the Pokémon Company.
• It was released in July 2016 in only select countries like the United States, Australia, and New Zealand.
• In order to play, users have to use their mobile’s GPS and walk around to locate and capture Pokémon and then train them subsequently to fight in the gyms.
• The virtual creatures appear on the screen in the same real-world location as the player.
• It has been downloaded more than 500 million times across the world.