Prime Minister and UPA Chairperson inaugurated National Media Centre at New Delhi
National Media Center was inaugurated at 7-E, Raisina Road, New Delhi by Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi.
National Media Center was inaugurated at New Delhi by the Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh and Chairperson of UPA, Sonia Gandhi on 24 August 2013.
Following are the facts regarding the National Media Centre
• The National Media Centre (NMC) was initially conceptualized by the Press Information Bureau (PIB), Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, Government of India in 1989 to facilitate greater interaction between the Government and the media with a state-of-the-art equipped media centre. The National Media Centre has been planned on the model of media centres in some of the capitals of the world such as Washington and Tokyo. It will have offices of the PIB as well as special facilities for the media to enable the Government to interact closely with the media.
• The National Media Centre located at 7-E, Raisina Road is in the centre of the city with proximity to Rashtrapati Bhawan, Government offices, Vigyan Bhavan and Parliament House - the news hub of Government activities. The location will cut distance and travel time between events for dignitaries and the media personnel.
• The National Media Centre has a Press Conference Hall for 283 media persons, a briefing room for about 60 persons, 24 Work stations for the media, a library, media lounge and cafeteria. The press conference hall and media lounge are wi-fi enabled.
• The project is aimed at further improving the dissemination of information about Government’s policies and programmes. The effort is to meet the requirements of the international and Indian media for their professional and communication needs within the overall Government of India framework of information dissemination. The facilities provided will dovetail with current technological advancement in visual and print media.
• World Class Media Center
• Ground + 4 Floors + 2 basements
• Press Conference Hall with seating capacity for 283 persons.
• Media Lounge - Work area facilities for media personnel
• Committee Room with video conferencing facilities
• IT and AV Infrastructure in NMC
• Optic fibre internet backbone with redundancy
• Mini Data Centre for application development and hosting
• Webcast, including live webcast
• Video feed to TV channels outside the building
• Network with redundancy and expandability to 500 nodes
• IT facilities to media persons in work area/Lounge
• Internet Telephony
• AV Video Wall
The NMC has been constructed by the National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC) over a period of three years with a total covered area of 13867 sqm. The plot size is 7787.46 sqm (1.95 acres).