Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal on 27 February 2013 proposed the introduction of 67 new express trains and 26 new passenger trains. He also asserted the introduction of 22 new lines in 2013-14.
Highlights of the new Trains announced
• 67 new Express trains to be introduced.
• 26 new passenger services, 8 DEMU (Diesel Electric Multiple Unit) services and 5 MEMU services to be introduced.
• Run of 57 trains to be extended.
• Frequency of 24 trains to be increased.
Metropolitan Projects/Sub-urban Services
• Introduction of first AC EMU rake on Mumbai suburban network in2013-14.
• Introduction of 72 additional services in Mumbai and 18 in Kolkata.
• Rake length increased from 9 cars to 12 cars for 80 services in Kolkata and 30 services in Chennai.
State wise break up of new Trains announced
• Karnataka gets 3 new lines, 8 express trains
• Goa gets 3 New Express trains
• Andhra Pradesh got 8 New Trains
• 13 New Trains for UP, 7 out of which went to Lucknow Only
Region Wise Break up of New Train Announced
• Eight new express trains, 11 originating trains and eight pass-through trains, six extension trains apart from 20 new lines and doubling projects fell in South Central Rail-way’s kitty in the Railway Budget announced.
• As per the budget, Central Railway (CR) and Western Railway (WR) will get a total of 17 new mail/express trains, of which 14 trains will serve either the city or state passengers.
• Further, 72 additional services of local trains, augmentation of AC local trains at WR, have also been announced.