The Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu on 1 September 2015 launched three IT initiatives developed by Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS), IT arm of Ministry of Railways.
These initiatives are:
• Paperless unreserved ticketing through mobile phone between New Delhi-Palwal section (nr)
• Currency coin cum card operated automatic ticket vending machines at New Delhi railway station
• Mobile application for freight operations (PARICHAALAN)
Paperless unreserved ticketing mobile application
- CRIS has developed a paperless Unreserved Ticketing feature in Mobile Application utsonmobile both for Android and Windows platforms.
- This will eliminate the need for printing of Unreserved Tickets on ATVMs at the stations. User can download App from Google Play Store or Window Store.
- The application has now been implemented on complete suburban area of Chennai & Mumbai Western Railway suburban section which covers 125 stations over 295 kms distance. Presently, about 1600 tickets are being booked daily by the passengers through this application.
- The application is now being implemented on the New Delhi-Palwal section of Northern Railway covering 11 stations over 57 kms distance.
- Payment for the ticket is done through the Railway Wallet feature in the App. After booking the ticket, the passenger will get the ticket confirmation screen which contains limited information of the ticket.
- The ticket has distinct colour scheme everyday and it is embedded with Quick Response (QR) code. For the purpose of ticket checking, the application has various features such as colour scheme, show ticket features, secret code of the day, booking time of the ticket.
Cash/Smart Card Operated Ticket Vending Machine (Ccotvm)
- Cash/Smart Card operated Ticket Vending machine (CCoTVM) is an unmanned self-operated kiosk which can be used by passengers themselves to buy unreserved tickets through Currency/Coins as well as smart cards.
- These kiosks have easy graphical interface for ticket transaction so that the user can operate these machines.
- The kiosk accepts currency or coin of all denominations of 5 rupees and above. The machine does not accept soiled, cut, glued, taped or colored notes and accepts currency notes of Gandhi series.
- CCoTVMs will reduce queue length at existing ticket counters by providing an alternate unmanned ticketing solution and mode of payment. They carry out:
- Issue of non-concessional second class journey tickets for non-suburban section and second/first class journey/return tickets for suburban section.
- Issue of Platform Tickets
- Renewal of non-concessional season tickets.
- Recharge of smart cards in denominations of 20 rupees, 50 rupees, 100 rupees and 500 rupees.
PARICHAALAN, Real Time Decision Making In Freight Operations
- Parichaalan is a mobile application, conceptualized and developed by CRIS, to make decision making on freight operations absolutely easy and user friendly.
- It provides mapped movement of freight trains and powerful search tools, removing the need to sift through voluminous tabular data.
- It provides effective Decision Support System focusing on the right parameters.
- It allows use of powerful graphical interfaces for easy comprehension of vital parameters of operations.
- It provides an effective planning tool that is predictive in nature for planning of movement and loading.
- It provides a paperless tool that is environment friendly leading to savings of a 1000 trees per annum.
- It allows for mobility of officials by providing Live updates and decision sharing through the app and adequate time for officials, less stressful working environment.
- It allows for instant information retrieval across multiple pages through hyperlinks.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App