Fashion designer Ritu Beri on 17 March 2016 was appointed advisor to the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) for promotion of khadi in India and across the world.
The commission appointed Beri as an advisor for a period of one year during which she will advise on ways to promote khadi.
About Khadi and Village Industries Commission
• The Khadi and Village Industries Commission is a statutory body formed by the Government of India, under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act of 1956.
• It is an apex organisation under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
• It is charged with the planning, promotion, organisation and implementation of programmes for the development of khadi and other village industries in the rural areas in coordination with other agencies engaged in rural development wherever necessary.
• In April 1957, it took over the work of former All India Khadi and Village Industries Board.
• The First Director of KVIC was Sardar KA Venkataramaiya, a veteran freedom fighter from Karnataka.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Ritu Beri
When: 17 March 2016