Indian tennis players Rohan Bopanna and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan on 8 January 2017 won the 2017 Chennai Open Men’s Doubles title.
The duo defeated compatriots Purav Raja and Divij Sharan 6-3, 6-4 in the summit clash held in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
It is the first time that an Indian pair clinched the title after Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi, who won the title in 2011.
About Rohan Bopanna
• Rohan Bopanna’s singles career high ranking was World No. 213 in 2007.
• His career high ranking in doubles was World No. 3 as of July 2013. At present, he is ranked 10th in the world in the doubles rankings.
• In 2007, he partnered with Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi in doubles. The duo, nicknamed the IndoPak Express, won four Challenger titles in quick succession. However, they broke up in the 2010 season.
• In 2008, he conquered his first ATP doubles title in the Countrywide Classic in Los Angeles with Eric Butorac.
About Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan
• Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan got his 50th career win at the 2013 ITF Men's Pro Circuit.
• He is the grandson of V. R. Nedunchezhiyan, former Finance Minister of Tamil Nadu.
About Chennai Open
• The Chennai Open is a professional tennis tournament.
• It is played on outdoor hard courts.
• At present, it is a part of the ATP World Tour 250 series of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour.
• It is held annually in January at the SDAT Tennis Stadium in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
• The winner of the 2017 Chennai Open Men’s Singles title is Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut.
When: 8 January 2017