USA’s Sam Querrey on 4 March 2017 defeated second-seeded Rafael Nadal 6-3, 7-6 to win the ATP Mexico Open Men’s Singles title. The match was held in Acapulco, Mexico.
It is Querrey’s first win over Nadal, improving his FedEx Head2Head record against Nadal to 1-4. Querrey is also the first American champion in 24-year history of the ATP Mexico Open.
About Sam Querrey
• Born on 7 October 1987, Sam Querrey is an American professional tennis player.
• In January 2011, he achieved his career-high singles ranking of world no. 17.
• He has won nine Singles titles.
• His best performance in a Grand Slam event was at the 2016 Wimbledon Championships, where he reached the quarterfinal. In the third round of the tournament, Querrey defeated world No. 1 Novak Djokovic in four sets.
About ATP Mexico Open
• The Mexican Open is a joint professional tennis tournament.
• It is played on outdoor hard courts. However, it was played on outdoor red clay courts until 2013. The change to hard courts was introduced in the year 2014.
• It is usually held annually in late February at the Fairmont Acapulco Princess in Acapulco, Mexico.
• The tournament is a part of the ATP World Tour 500 series on the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour, and of the WTA International tournaments on the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Tour.
• In 2016, the Men’s Singles title was won by Austria’s Dominic Thiem.
• The 2017 Women's Singles title is won by Ukraine’s Lesia Tsurenko.
• The 2017 Men's Doubles title is won by Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares.
• The 2017 Women's Doubles title is won by Darija Jurak and Anastasia Rodionova.
Who: Sam Querrey
When: 4 March 2017