Arunachal Pradesh's Singchung Bugun Village Community Reserve, a non-governmental organisation, on May 24, 2018 won the National Biodiversity Award 2018 for conserving a bird species 'Bugun Liocichla', a rare wildlife resources found in the area.
The Singchung Bugun Village Community Reserve was honoured with a citation, a memento and a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh at Hyderabad. Indi Glow and Sange Norbu Phiang, the leaders of the organisation, received the award.
The Singchung Bugun Village Community Reserve partnered with the Forest Department in 2016 to protect and conserve the 17sq km area of the Reserve adjoining the Eaglenest Wildlife Sanctuary in West Kameng District of Arunachal Pradesh.
About Eaglenest Wild life Sanctuary
• Eaglenest Wild life Sanctuary is over 210 sq km big with a rich bio-diversity, second to Andes in South America.
• It was formed in October 1989 after being bifurcated from the Doimara Reserve Forest.
• The Sanctuary got further prominence with the discovery of Bugun Lipcichla, a rare bird not found anywhere else in the world.
• It is rich in both flora and fauna with 545 species of birds and various species of plants and animals.
• The sanctuary currently attracts the attention of nature lovers from all around the world.
• Considering the importance of involving the local community in the conservation process of this sanctuary, the Forest Department was persuaded to partner in a unique conservation model.
National Biodiversity Award
• These awards are joint initiative of Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Ministry, National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) and the United Nations Development programme (UNDP).
• It recognises the contribution of the stakeholders towards the biodiversity conservation.
• The four categories in which the awards given are Conservation of Threatened Species, Sustainable use of biological resources, Successful models for access and benefit sharing and Biodiversity Management Committees.
• Each category winner receives a cash prize of 1 lakh rupees while the runners up receive 50000 rupees.