Union Minister of state for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri on 9 November 2017 announced that the Skywalk and Foot Over Bridge (FoB) at ITO are among the 5 projects approved for funding of Rs 643.58 crore through the Urban Development Fund by the Union Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs.
The other projects include construction of flyovers, underpasses etc at Mahipalpur, Narela, ISBT Kashmiri Gate and Rani Jhansi Road.
• The Skywalk and Foot Over Bridge project will be built at an intersection point with a metro station, the Tilak Bridge railway station and seven major arterial roads.
• This will lead to easier inter-crossing of pedestrian as the vehicular traffic poses a potentially dangerous situation to the pedestrians.
• This project will benefit the public at large who visit these offices along with the employees working in over 25 major offices located in the ITO area such as Police HQ, PWD HQ, Institute of Engineers, ICAI, Income Tax office, Central Excise, DDA, School of Planning and Architecture, GST office, etc.
• At present, vehicular peak hour traffic volume is around 16000 to 20000 Passenger Car Units (PCU) on ITO Chowk and 12000 PCU on ‘W’ Point. Around 29000 pedestrians cross both the points.
• The entire cost of Rs 54.34 crore of the project is being funded through Urban Development Fund (Rs 43.47 crore) and by DDA (Rs 10.87 crore).
• The project is expected to be completed by March 2018.
When: 9 November 2017