SSP Chawrasia won 2017 Indian Open golf title
Shiv Shankar Prasad Chawrasia successfully defended his Hero Indian Open title with a seven-shot victory.
Shiv Shankar Prasad Chawrasia became the only second Indian golfer to successfully defend the Hero Indian Open golf title.
He achieved this feat on 12 March 2017 by clinching a seven-stroke win at the redesigned DLF golf and country club in Gurugram, Haryana.
With this win, Chawrasia pocketed a winner's cheque of USD 2,91,660. For Chawrasia, this was his sixth win on the Asian Tour and overall sixth international victory.
Chawrasia is also the third player to win back-to-back Indian Open titles. The other two golfers who did so earlier are Jyoti Randhawa of India and Japan's Kenji Hosoishi.
While Randhawa won the titles in 2006 and 2007, Hosoishi won the titles in 1967 and 1968.
Career highlights of SSP Chawrasia
• Claimed his first victory outside of India when he clinched the Resorts World Manila Masters in 2016
• Defeated Rahil Gangjee and Mithun Perera with a birdie on the first play-off hole to win the 2014 Panasonic Open India
• Won the Avantha Masters on home soil, an event co-sanctioned with Europe in 2011
• Came close to winning his second Asian Tour title at the SAIL Open in Delhi when he finished fourth in 2010
• Produced a memorable triumph with his breakthrough at the Indian Masters at Delhi Golf Club in 2008
• Was denied victory at the Hero Indian Open when he lost on the first play-off hole to Anirban Lahiri in 2015 but thanks to three other top-10 results, he finished fourth on the Order of Merit and qualified for the 2016 EurAsia Cup presented by DRB-HICOM
• Challenged compatriot Jyoti Randhawa for the Hero Honda Indian Open title before losing in a play-off that included Vijay Kumar in 2006
• Emerged runner-up to Arjun Atwal at the 1999 Indian Open