The Union Minister of Steel, Chaudhary Birender Singh on August 27, 2018 unveiled the corporate sports policy for Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) under the Ministry of Steel in New Delhi.
The policy will provide a framework for the promotion of sports by Steel Ministry CPSEs. Speaking on the occasion, Chaudhary Birender Singh said that sports are an indicator of a country’s economic development and strength and the CPSEs, under the Steel Ministry, will strive to groom medal aspirants for the Olympic Games.
• The Steel CPSEs will discharge their responsibility through infrastructural and institutional support for talent spotting, scholarships, training and coaching.
• The CPSEs will first allocate a specific budget for sports activities according to their financial strength. The allocated amount will be separate from the company’s CSR funds.
• The amount would be utilised by the companies to encourage rural sports, sports for differently-abled and activities for homemakers by sponsoring annual and periodic sporting events.
• The public sector companies will also sponsor national and international sporting events.
• Besides, all the CPSEs under the Steel Ministry will form an apex sports body, which will be affiliated to National Level Sports Associations and Federations, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and Para Olympic Federation and Association.
• The Maharatna and Navaratna CPSEs may set up sports academy in at least one of the identified sports discipline and maintain infrastructure there for including general fitness equipment and facilities.
According to Steel Minister Chaudhary Birender Singh, the Steel Ministry is responsible not only for its PSEs but also for nation-building and the sports policy is directed towards that end.
The Centre has also highlighted the need for institutional support to sports with its “Khelo India” programme, which provides annual financial assistance of Rs. 5 lakh per annum for 8 years to talented players identified in priority sports disciplines. The programme has already started yielding results.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider