Steeplechase athlete Sudha Singh on 14 May 2016 set a national record in women’s 3000m steeplechase event to finish eighth at the IAAF World Diamond League held at Shanghai.
Sudha clocked 9 minutes, 26.55 seconds to finish a eighth in the second leg of the prestigious IAAF Diamond League Meet.
Who is Sudha Singh?
• Born on 25 June 1986, Sudha Singh is an Indian athlete in the 3000 metres steeplechase event.
• She has been a consistent performer in the 3000m steeplechase event, holding the National record in the same event for nearly 7 years.
• In the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou, China, she won the gold medal with a time of 9:55.67.
• In June 2012, she qualified for Olympic Games 2012 after she broke her own 3000m steeplechase national record with a timing of 9:47.70 secs.
• In the 2014 Asian Games held in Incheon, South Korea, she finished fourth, one place behind Lalita Babar. Babar also broke Sudha's national record, clocking 9:35.37 in the process. However, when the gold medallist Ruth Jebet from Bahrain was disqualified on account of stepping inside the track before crossing the line, Sudha was promoted and won the bronze medal.
• In August 2015, she sealed her spot in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil with a 19th-place finish in the women's marathon event.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Sudha Singh
When: 14 May 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.