On the occasion of World food day on 16 October 2017, the Union Government directed the food safety commissioners of all the states to take stringent action against food adulterators.
Minister of State for Health Ashwini Kumar Choubey directed the officials to keep a vigil against any kind of adulteration during this festive season.
World food day also saw the inauguration of mobile app Indian Food Recovery Alliance (IFRA) to curb food wastage. It is a mobile app created by Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI).
The objective behind IFRA is:
• To manage surplus food recovery and stop food waste in the country.
• To raise awareness about the food loss and waste amongst citizens.
• Bring about behavioural change to prevent food waste at workplace, school, homes among others.
About World Food Day
• World Food Day is celebrated every year around the world on 16 October.
• It is commemorated in honour of the establishment of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.
• The theme for 2017 World Food Day is ‘Change the future of migration. Invest in food security and rural development’.
When: 16 October 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.