Tarla Dalal, the Celebrity Cook of India, Passed Away at 77
Tarla Dalal, one of the first celebrity chefs of India as well as prolific cookbook writer died on 6 November 2013 due to heart attack in Mumbai.
Tarla Dalal, one of the first celebrity chefs of India as well as prolific cookbook writer died on 6 November 2013 due to heart attack in Mumbai. She was 77 years old and is survived by three children. She authored more than 100 cookbooks which sold three million copies. Her website tarladalal.com is the largest food website of Asia.
Life History of Tarla Dalal
• Tarla Dalal was born in the year 1936 in Pune, India.
• She was a renowned Indian chef, food writer, host of various cooking shows as well as best-selling cookbook author.
• Her first cookbook was entitled The Pleasures of Vegetarian Cooking, which was published in the year 1974.
• She had the largest Indian food website and also published the bi-monthly magazine called Cooking & More.
• Apart from this, she also wrote the cookbooks for pregnant women as well as children.
• Her cooking shows broadcasted across India, South East Asia, the Gulf, the USA and the UK.
• She wrote about various cuisines and healthy cooking. However, her specialty was Indian cuisine, primarily the Gujarati cuisine.
• She was honoured with the Padma Shri by Government of India in 2007.
• She also won the Women of the Year Award by Indian Merchants' Chamber in 2005.