26 June: International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
The United Nations General Assembly declared 26 June as the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking in the year 1987. The objective of observing this day is to strengthen the action as well as cooperation in order to achieve the aim of a society free of drug abuse.
The General Assembly however found out that inspite of increasing efforts by the international community to curb this menace, the world problem of drug abuse increased. Drug abuse poses serious threat to safety as well as well being of humanity as well as to the public health. Eventually, the Commission and the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) was directed to continue its work towards international drug control.
Objective of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
The objective of observing this day by United Nations General Assembly is that the day serves as reminder of those goals which were agreed upon by the Member States for creation of drug-free international society.
Theme of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2013
The theme of the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is decided upon by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The 2013 theme is Make health your new high in life, not drugs. The themes are decided with an objective to raise awareness regarding the drug problem.
What is drug abuse and illicit trafficking?
• New kinds of drugs are also known as New Psychoactive Substances (NPS).
• Over the recent years, drugs have been sold openly and also through the Internet.
• NPS have not been recognised as safe for humans and they can be even more dangerous than the drugs which were found traditionally.
• They are also marketed as research chemicals, bath salts, plant food and legal highs.
• Illicit trafficking or illegal drug trade is the global level black market which is dedicated to manufacturing, cultivation, distribution as well as sale of the drugs that are prohibited by laws. According to the UN report, the global drug trade generated around 321.6 billion US dollar in the year 2003.