Top Cabinet Approvals: 29 June 2018
The Union Cabinet approved establishment of additional 6.5 Million Metric Tonne (MMT) Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) facilities at two locations, i.e. Chandikhol in Odisha and Padur in Karnataka, including construction of dedicated SPMs (Single Point Mooring) for the two SPRs.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Singapore on Cooperation in the field of Planning
• The Union Cabinet approved the MoU between India and Singapore on cooperation in the field of urban planning and development.
• The objective of the MOU is to facilitate government agencies in the Centre and States, including Municipal Bodies, to readily tap into the expertise of Singapore agencies in the areas of urban development and management and other areas.
• Under this MOU, capacity building programme in the field of planning, and waste water management, solid waste management, Intelligent Transport System and public financing would be undertaken.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Germany on Cooperation in field of Civil Aviation
• The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) titled Joint Declaration of Intent between India and Germany on Cooperation in the field of Civil Aviation.
• The Joint Declaration will lead to promotion of safe, effective and efficient development of air transport between India and Germany.
• The MoU signifies an important landmark in the civil aviation relations between India and Germany, and has the potential to spur greater trade, investment, tourism between the two countries.
• The two countries desired to strengthen and further develop the established relation promoting and facilitating exchange of knowledge and experience, cooperation in the field of Civil Aviation.
Cabinet apprised of agreement between India and Denmark on cooperation in the field of S&T
• The Union Cabinet was apprised of the agreement between India and Denmark on Cooperation in the field of Science, Technology and Innovation.
• A historic milestone in the Indo-Danish Science and Technology relationship was reached through signing of this agreement.
• The objective of the Agreement is to encourage, develop and facilitate cooperation between India and Denmark in fields of common interest within Science, Technology and Innovation.
• Renewable energy, water, material science, affordable healthcare, synthetic biology, functional food, and blue economy were identified as potential areas for immediate collaboration.
Cabinet apprised of agreement between India and France on cooperation on maritime mission
• The Union Cabinet was apprised of the Implementing Arrangement (IA) for Pre-formulation Studies of a Maritime Domain Awareness Mission signed between India and France on March 10, 2018.
• The proposed joint mission will be devoted to maritime domain awareness, with the objective to provide relevant data and services to both nations.
• The objective is to monitor the maritime traffic and to identify the non-compliant ships at the maximum possible revisit frequency.
• The monitoring system will provide an end to end solution for detection, identification, monitoring of vessels in the regions of interest for India and France.
• Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and Centre Nationale Dètudes Spatiales (CNES) of France will jointly undertake various activities during these pre-formulation studies.
Cabinet apprised of MoU between India and Denmark for cooperation in the field of Animal Husbandry
• The Union Cabinet was apprised of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Denmark on April 16, 2018 for cooperation in the fields of Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
• The MoU aims to develop bilateral cooperation in the field of Animal Husbandly and Dairying for the purpose of broadening the existing knowledge base on dairy development and institutional strengthening.
• A Joint Working Group (JWC) consisting of representatives of each party will be formed to formulate joint programmes, facilitate cooperation and consultation and subsequent evaluation.
Cabinet apprised of MoU between India and Indonesia on technical cooperation in railways sector
• The Union Cabinet was apprised of MoU between India and Indonesia on Technical Cooperation in the field of railways sector. The MoU was signed on May 29, 2018.
• The MoU will provide a framework of cooperation for focused approach in exchange of knowledge, technology, and institutional cooperation including capacity building.
• It will enable exchanges of construction and maintenance technologies for fixed infrastructure, including tracks, bridges, tunnel, overhead electrification and power supply systems.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Bahrain on cooperation in the field of Healthcare
• The Union Cabinet approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Bahrain on cooperation in the field of Healthcare.
• The MoU covers exchange of information including publications and research outcomes; encourages health and medical research activities at both the private-sector and the academic level.
• A Working Group will be set up to further elaborate the details of cooperation and to oversee the implementation of this MoU.
Cabinet approves establishment of additional 6.5MMT Strategic Petroleum Reserves at Chandikhol
• The Union Cabinet approved establishment of additional 6.5 Million Metric Tonne (MMT) Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) facilities at two locations, i.e. Chandikhol in Odisha and Padur in Karnataka, including construction of dedicated SPMs (Single Point Mooring) for the two SPRs.
• The SPR facilities at Chandikhol and Padur will be underground rock caverns and will have capacities of 4 MMT and 2.5 MMT respectively.
• Government had announced setting up of two additional SPRs during the budget announcement for 2017-18.
• Cabinet’s approval for establishing additional 6.5 MMT Strategic Petroleum Reserve facilities will provide an additional supply of about 12 days and is expected to augment India’s energy security.