11 October 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as new Solicitor General of India, 2018 Henley Passport Index and International Day of Girl Child among others.
1. Who was appointed as the Solicitor General of India?
a) Tushar Mehta
b) KK Venogopal
c) Ranjith Kumar
d) Sunil Mehta
2. The World Conference on Access to Medical Products was held in which city?
a) New York
b) New Delhi
3. NITI Aayog entered into a first-of-its-kind internship programme with which organisation for students selected by Atal Innovation Mission?
4. Which country recently offered its support to the Swachh Bharat Mission?
5. Which country’s passport is the most powerful one as per the 2018 Henley Passport Index?
6. Which city’s police has inducted DRDO's remotely operated vehicle (ROV) into its service on experimental basis to help in detection and disposal of bombs?
a) New Delhi
7. Which city hosted the inaugural training cum brainstorming workshop on ‘Best Practices in International Arbitration’?
a) New Delhi
8. The Union Home Ministry has issued clarification to Assam government on the citizenship status of which community?
9. When is the International Day of Girl Child observed?
a) October 5
b) October 8
c) October 11
d) October 10
10. The 13th Annual Convention of Central Information Commission will be held in which city?
11. Which country has passed a legislation to pay compensation to the victims of its brutal civil war?
d) Sri Lanka
12. Which country is planning to frame an air cargo policy?
d) Sri Lanka
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Tushar Mehta
Senior Advocate Tushar Mehta was on October 10, 2018 appointed as the Solicitor General of India with effect from the date of assumption of charge of the office for a period till June 30, 2020 or until further orders. His appointment was approved by the Appointment Committee of Cabinet.
2. (b) New Delhi
J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare inaugrated ‘2nd World Conference on Access to Medical Products: Achieving the SDGs 2030’. It was organised by jointly by WHO and the Ministry of Health of India.
3. (c) IBM
NITI Aayog and IBM today announced a first-of-its-kind internship programme for students selected by Atal Innovation Mission (AIM). The internship will see 38 students receive a two-week paid internship, and 14 teachers from Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL) across the length and breadth of the country.
4. (a) Japan
Prime Minister of Japan, Shinzo Abe offered his Government’s support to the Swachh Bharat Mission. In a written message, Abe said that Japan will cooperate with India to promote the Clean India initiative under Prime Minister Modi’s leadership.
5. (d) Japan
According to the 2018 Henley Passport Index, The Japanese passport is now the strongest in the world. Japanese citizens can travel without a visa or gain a visa on arrival in 190 destinations.
6. (c) Pune
DRDO's remotely operated vehicle (ROV) 'Daksh' was on October 9, 2018 inducted into the Pune police on an experimental basis to help in detection and disposal of bombs. The vehicle will be with the city police for the next six months and it will be used by the Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad (BDDS).
7. (a) New Delhi
The inaugural training cum brainstorming workshop on ‘Best Practices in International Arbitration’ was organised by NITI Aayog and the ICC International Court of Arbitration in New Delhi on October 10, 2018. The workshop is a part of the on-going efforts to institutionalise and streamline dispute resolution to make India a hub for doing business.
8. (a) Gorkhas
The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has issued a clarification to the Assam state government regarding the citizenship status of the members of the Gorkha community living in the state. The clarification comes after some cases of Gorkhas living in Assam were referred to the Foreigners’ Tribunals.
9. (c) October 11
The International Day of the Girl was observed across the world on October 11, 2018. The day aims to highlight and address the needs and challenges girls face while promoting girls' empowerment and the fulfilment of their human rights.
10. (b) Delhi
President will inaugurate the 13th Annual Convention of Central Information Commission (CIC on October 12, 2018 in Delhi. The Annual Convention on the topic “Data privacy and Right to information, Amendment in the RTI Act and Implementation of the RTI Act” is aimed at recommending measures for improving the transparency and accountability with a view to improve governance.
11. (d) Sri Lanka
The Sri Lankan Parliament has passed legislation to pay compensation to victims of the island's brutal civil war, which claimed one lakh lives during a decade. The legislature voted 59 -43 to approve the Office for Reparations Bill which seeks to establish an independent office that will compensate survivors as well as victims' next of kin.
12. (a) India
India’s Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu has said that the Union Government will soon bring air cargo policy and it will be placed before the cabinet for its approval. The air cargo policy is aimed at fuelling the growth of India’s aviation sector and boosting the country’s economy.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week