15 October 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as 2018 Asian Para Games, FAO’s Future Policy Gold Award and UNHRC elections among others.
1. India won how many gold medals in the 2018 Asian Para Games in Indonesia?
2. Which among the following countries has been elected to the UNRC with the highest votes?
b) Sri Lanka
3. India has signed a protocol on trade and economic, science and technology cooperation with which nation?
4. SC Collegium has recommended the name of Justice NH Patil to be appointed as the Chief Justice of which court?
a) Uttarakhand High Court
b) Sikkim High Court
c) Bombay High Court
d) Patna High Court
5. Which nation’s naval force has inducted into service its first Deep Submergence Rescue Vessel (DSRV)?
a) Sri Lanka
6. Which Indian state won the FAO’s Future Policy Gold Award for 100% organic farming?
c) West Bengal
d) Himachal Pradesh
7. What was India’s rank at the newly launched global Women’s T20I Team Rankings by ICC?
8. When is International Day for Disaster Reduction observed every year?
a) October 11
b) October 12
c) October 13
d) October 14
9. The National Stock Exchange (NSE) recently signed pact with which state to prompt MSMEs growth in state?
10. India’s first-ever India-Israel Innovation Centre (IIIC) was launched in which city?
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) 15
India has concluded its campaign at the 2018 Asian Para Games in Jakarta, Indonesia with a record medal haul, winning a total of 72 medals that included 15 gold, 24 silver and 33 bronze medals. India was placed ninth in the overall tally.
2. (a) India
India was on October 12, 2018 elected to the United Nations' Human Rights Council ' for a period of three years beginning January 1, 2019. India secured 188 votes in the Asia-Pacific category, the highest number of votes among all candidates.
3. (a) Azerbaijan
India and Azerbaijan signed a protocol on trade and economic, science and technology cooperation on October 12, 2018, during the 5th meeting of India-Azerbaijan Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade and Economic, Science and Technology Cooperation (IA-IGC) that was held from October 11-12, 2018 in New Delhi.
4. (c) Bombay High Court
Justice NH Patil, who is currently functioning as the Acting Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court, has been recommended by the SC Collegium to be appointed as the Chief Justice of the court. The post has been vacant since the retirement of Chief Justice Manjula Chellur in December 2017. Justice N.H. Patil is due to retire in April 2019.
5. (d) India
The Indian Navy on October 13, 2018 inducted its first Deep Submergence Rescue Vessel (DSRV) at its base in Mumbai, enhancing its operational capabilities. The second DSRV would be added to its base in Vishakhapatnam by 2019. With the move, India joined a select list of international navies with the ability to search, locate and provide assistance to downed or disaster-struck submarines at high sea.
6. (a) Sikkim
Sikkim won the Gold at the 2018 FAO’s Future Policy Award (FPA) for its achievement in becoming the world’s first totally organic agriculture state. The state has totally banned the sale and use of chemical pesticides. The transition has benefitted more than 66000 farming families.
7. (b) 5
In the newly launched ICC global Women’s T20I Team Rankings, India is placed fifth while three-time champions Australia topped the 46-team table. The ICC’s move to launch the women’s T20I rankings follows its decision earlier this year to award international status to all T20 matches.
8. (c) October 13
The International Day for Disaster Reduction was observed across the world on October 13, 2018 to promote a global culture of risk-awareness and disaster reduction.
9. (d) Uttarakhand
The National Stock Exchange (NSE) has recently signed pact with the Uttarakhand government to provide access to capital to MSMEs, which will fuel growth of such entities in the state. The bourse will play an active role in nurturing the SMEs and start-ups by increasing awareness along with the government on the opportunities to raise capital, SME exchange guidelines, listing processes, compliances with listing agreement among others.
10. (a) Bengaluru
India’s first-ever India-Israel Innovation Centre (IIIC), an entrepreneurial technology hub, was launched at the 3rd edition of IoT India Congress in Bengaluru, Karnataka on October 10, 2018. The IIIC is a significant step towards facilitating penetration of Israeli companies in India.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week