23 October 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016, Firecracker Ban and 2018 Carnot Prize of Kleinman Center for Energy Policy among others.
1. The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016 is about to be tabled in Parliament in its Winter Session for its passage. Which state went through complete shutdown amid protest against the Bill?
2. Which country is planning to launch own artificial moon by 2020?
d) North Korea
3. Who refused to impose a blanket ban on firecrackers in India?
a) Supreme Court
d) Environment Ministry
4. The Environment Ministry has launched which campaign to protect the environment?
a) Green Diwali, Healthy Diwali
b) Green and Noise-Free Diwali
c) Light Diyas, Not Crackers
d) Safe Diwali, Clean Diwali
5. Which state government declared 51 talukas as water scarcity hit on October 23?
a) Madhya Pradesh
6. The Green Climate Fund has approved how much fund to assist poor countries to tackle climate change?
a) $1.5 billion
b) $2 billion
c) $3 billion
d) $1 billion
7. Which space agency along with the European Space Agency has sent a spacecraft on 7-year journey to explore Mercury?
8. The ‘Invest India’ initiative of the Union Government won the top Investment Promotion Award of which organisation?
a) United Nations
b) World Trade Organisation
c) Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion
d) World Bank
9. Which Union Minister was honoured with the 2018 Carnot Prize of Kleinman Center for Energy Policy?
a) Piyush Goyal
b) Radha Mohan Singh
c) Nitin Gadkari
d) Arun Jaitley
10. Among ASEAN group of countries, the first-ever joint maritime exercise will be conducted between ASEAN and which country?
11. India’s first cruise service was launched for which route?
a) Mumbai to Goa
b) Goa to Cochin
c) Cochin to Thrissur
d) Thrissur to Kottayam
12. National Police Memorial (NPM), recently inaugurated by Prime Minister, is located in which city?
Answers with Explanation
1. (d) Assam
The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016 has been gaining momentum amid protests against the Bill by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS), Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuba Chatra Parishad (AJYCP) and 44 other organizations in Assam. These organisations called for the 12-hour shutdown in Assam.
2. (b) China
China is planning to launch its own 'artificial moon' by 2020 to replace streetlamps and lower electricity costs in its urban areas. The first test will be experimental and if it goes well, three more artificial moons will be launched in 2022.
3. (a) Supreme Court
The Supreme Court of India on October 23, 2018 decided not to impose a blanket ban on the sale and manufacture of firecrackers ahead of the popular Indian festival, Diwali. The apex court, however, decided to allow the same with a set of stringent conditions. The SC bench comprising Justices AK Sikri and Ashok Bhushan permitted the sale and manufacture of green and low emission crackers alone.
4. (a) Green Diwali, Healthy Diwali
The Union Ministry of Environment has launched Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali campaign. The campaign was first initiated in 2017-18 to encourage school children in Delhi and NCR to take the pledge to ensure a green and healthy Diwali by minimising the bursting of crackers.
5. (c) Gujarat
The Gujarat government on October 23, 2018 declared 51 talukas, comprising 3,291 villages, as scarcity hit owing to scanty rains. The state declared 10 talukas of Kutch district, nine of Banaskantha district, eight of Patan district, seven of Surendranagar district and four each of Ahmedabad and Mehasana districts as scarcity hit. The relief work in these talukas will begin from December 1.
6. (d) $1 billion
The UN-backed Green Climate Fund has approved more than $1 billion for 19 new projects to help developing countries tackle climate change. The green fund, considered a key vehicle for climate-related development programs, was originally meant to receive over $10 billion from rich countries by 2018.
7. (c) JAXA
In a first-of-its-kind mission, the European and Japanese space agencies launched the Bepi Colombo spacecraft carrying two probes into orbit on October 20, 2018 for a joint mission to Mercury, the planet closest to the sun. The spacecraft has been launched to determine whether the plant, which is the closest to the Sun, contains water.
8. (a) United Nations
The ‘Invest India’ initiative of the Union Government on October 22, 2018 won the top United Nations Investment Promotion Award in recognition of its efforts to boost investments in the renewable energy sector in India. Apart from India, agencies from Bahrain, Lesotho and South Africa also won the top honours.
9. (a) Piyush Goyal
Piyush Goyal, the Union Minister of Railways & Coal, was honoured with the 2018 Carnot Prize of Kleinman Center for Energy Policy at the University Of Pennsylvania School Of Design. The 2018 Carnot Prize is a recognition of India’s efforts towards eliminating energy poverty with sustainable energy solutions.
10. (b) China
The first-ever joint maritime exercise will be conducted between ASEAN and China in the South China Sea near the city of Zhanjiang in an effort to reduce tensions in the disputed region. This exercise will provide very good opportunities from the navies of ASEAN and China to work together using the CUES (Code for Unplanned Encounters at Sea).
11. (a) Mumbai to Goa
India’s first luxury cruise ship service was launched between Mumbai and Goa on 21 October 2018. India’s first ever passenger cruise ship service is a joint venture between Mumbai Port Trust and Angriya Sea Eagle Pvt Ltd.
12. (c) Delhi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 21, 2018 dedicated the National Police Memorial to the nation on the occasion of the Police Commemoration Day 2018. A 30-foot granite pillar, weighing around 238 tonnes, has been installed at Chanakyapuri in the heart of Lutyens’ Delhi to honour the policemen. The sculpture has been conceptualised by Advaita Gadanayak of the National Gallery of Modern Art.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.