27 April 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Historic Korean summit, new US Secretary of State and National Kharif Conference 2018 among others.
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi held first informal summit on April 27 with which nation’s President?
c) North Korea
d) South Korea
2. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched which scheme to help increase tribal income?
a) Jan Dhan
b) Rojgar Protsahan Yojana
c) Jaivik Kheti
d) Van Dhan
3. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un crossed to which nation for the very first time for a historic summit?
a) South Korea
4. Which state government has installed e-prison system in one of its jails?
a) Uttar Pradesh
c) West Bengal
5. Which airline has become the third Indian carrier to be a member of the International Air Transport Association (IATA)?
6. Which country has introduced new coins?
7. The 23rd meeting of Western Zonal Council was hosted by which Indian city?
a) New Delhi
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
8. Who was sworn in as new US Secretary of State after senate confirmation?
a) Jeff Sessions
b) Mike Pompeo
c) James NMattis
d) John F Kelly
9. UN chief Antonio Guterres has appointed Christine Schraner Burgener as special envoy on Myanmar. Burgener belongs to which nation?
10. The Trump administration has terminated temporary protection status of people belonging to which nation?
11. Which Indian city hosted the National Kharif Conference 2018?
b) New Delhi
12. Which among the following cities has become India’s first city to run on 100% Renewable Energy during daytime?
b) Port Blair
Answers with Explanations
1. (b) China
The first-ever informal meet between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping commenced on April 27, 2018 at Wuhan's Hubei Provincial Museum. The meeting will be different from past such encounters as the talks will be freewheeling, instead of being choreographed.
2. (d) Van Dhan
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Van Dhan Scheme of Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED to help increase tribal income through value addition. The scheme along with others like Jan Dhan and Gobar-Dhan schemes aims to change the tribal-rural economic system.
3. (a) South Korea
In a historic first, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un crossed the border that separates the two Koreas at the demilitarized zone (DMZ) to enter South Korea, becoming the first North Korean leader to step into South Korean territory since 1953.
4. (d) Meghalaya
The state government of Meghalaya on April 26, 2018 installed a software at Shillong district jail to integrate information about its inmates, as a part of its initiative to modernise correctional homes in the state.
5. (c) Vistara
Vistara has become the third Indian carrier to be a member of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), the trade association of more than 280 airlines. The move will help the airlines to provide a seamless travel experience through an extended global network of travelers to and from India. The two other Indian carriers that are IATA members include Air India and Jet Airways.
6. (d) Myanmar
The Central Bank of Myanmar announced on April 27, 2018 will introduce quarter tical gold coins with new design to meet high demand. The portrait of late national hero and Father of the Nation of modern-day Myanmar General Aung San is engraved on the new coin. He was the father of Myanmar’s state counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi.
7. (b) Gandhinagar
The 23rd meeting of the Western Zonal Council was held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat on April 26, 2018 under the chairmanship of the Union home minister Rajnath Singh. Out of the 16 issues discussed, 14 were resolved in the meeting with mutual understanding and consensus.
8. (b) Mike Pompeo
Mike Pompeo has been sworn in as America's 70th Secretary of State, after the US Senate confirmed his nomination with 57-42 votes on April 26. He replaced Rex Tillerson, who was fired by President Donald Trump last month.
9. (a) Switzerland
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has appointed Christine Schraner Burgener of Switzerland as his new special envoy on Myanmar. Until her appointment, Burgener was the Ambassador of Switzerland to the Germany since 2015. The announcement of Burgener's appointment comes as the Security Council sends a mission to Iraq, Bangladesh, and Myanmar from April 26 to May 2.
10. (b) Nepal
The Trump administration announced on April 27, 2018 that it is terminating temporary protection status (TPS), which the United States granted to Nepalese people. This decision affects 8,950 people, 85 percent of whom live New York. All of these people from Nepal would have to go back to Nepal or face deportation.
11. (b) New Delhi
The National Kharif Conference 2018 was held at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi on April 25, 2018. Radha Mohan Singh, the Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, has said that the schemes such as National Food Security Mission, National Livestock Mission and Blue Revolution are being run to ensure better productivity.
12. (a) Diu
The Indian smart city, Diu has become the first city in India that runs on 100% renewable energy during daytime setting a new benchmark for other cities to become clean and green. Diu had been importing 73% of its power from Gujarat until last year.