27 February 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes seaction of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as MILAN 2018, life-cum-health insurance scheme for farmers and new Deputy PM of Australia among others.
1. The Indian Navy will host the multi-national series of exercises MILAN 2018 at which place?
a) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
b) Daman & Diu
c) Lakshadweep Islands
d) Bay of Bengal
2. Who was elected as the Deputy Prime Minister of Australia?
a) Barnaby Joyce
b) Michael McCormack
c) Malcolm Turnbull
d) Mathias Cormann
3. Name the former Cabinet secretary of India who passed away recently?
a) Mukul Rohatgi
b) Bikram Chaturvedi
c) TSR Subramanian
d) Bipin Rawat
4. Assam government will observe ‘Rhino Day’ on which date to generate public awareness on protection of the one-horned pachyderm?
a) 19 September
b) 20 September
c) 21 September
d) 22 September
5. Heavy Water Board, a constituent of Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), signed an agreement with which company to supply 20 tonne Heavy Water?
c) Atomic Energy Regulatory Board
d) Nuclear Power Corporation of India
6. Which country recently proposed removal of 2-term limit for President?
7. Which nation has for the first-ever time allowed women to join the military?
c) Saudi Arabia
8. Which state’s Chief Minister has announced a 5 lakh health-cum-life insurance scheme for farmers?
b) Madhya Pradesh
c) Uttar Pradesh
9. Which country was elected as the Vice Chair of Financial Action Task Force?
10. Indian artists would be collaborating with artists belonging to which nation for an exhibition on March 3?
11. Civil Aviation Minister inaugurated the first-of-its-kind Aviation Multi Skill Development Centre in which city?
12. Which lake in India has been found to be the single largest habitat of Irrawaddy dolphins in the world?
a) Dal Lake
b) Chilika Lake
c) Wular Lake
d) Pulicat Lake
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The Indian Navy will host the multi-national MILAN series of exercises under the theme of ‘Friendship Across the Seas’ at Port Blair in Andaman and Nicobar islands from March 6 to March 13, 2018.
2. (b) Michael McCormack
Michael McCormack was elected as the Deputy Prime Minister of Australia, after being selected as the leader of the country’s National Party. McCormack succeeded former Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce who was forced to resign last week amid public anger over an extramarital affair with his former press secretary.
3. (c) TSR Subramanian
TSR Subramanian (79), the former Cabinet secretary of India, has passed away in New Delhi on February 26, 2018. He served as the cabinet secretary from 1996 to 1998.
4. (d) 22 September
The Assam government will observe September 22 as ‘Rhino Day’ to generate public awareness on protection of the one-horned pachyderm.
5. (a) Clearsynth
Heavy Water Board, a constituent industrial unit of DAE, signed a collaborative agreement with Clearsynth, Mumbai on February 23, 2018 for sale of 20 tonnes of Heavy Water in a year. The sale of Heavy Water will be for development of deuterium labeled compounds, NMR Solvents, d-labeled Active Pharma Ingredients (APIs).
6. (b) China
China on February 25, 2018 paved the way for third consecutive term of President Xi Jinping by proposing removal of 2-term limit for President. The proposal was made by Communist Party of China (CPC) through amendments to China's Constitution. It proposed that the President and the Vice-President shall not be constitutionally restricted to two consecutive terms in office.
7. (b) Saudi Arabia
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has for the first-ever time opened applications for women to enlist in the military. Though the roles do not appear to involve combat, they will give women the opportunity to work in security.
8. (d) Telangana
The Telangana government has announced Rs 5 lakh worth health-cum-life insurance cover for farmers. The state government will be paying the entire premium on behalf of the farmer. The scheme is expected to benefit 70 lakh farmers in the state.
9. (b) China
China was elected as vice chair of Financial Action Task Force (FATF), a global body mandated to combat terror financing and money laundering. In its plenary meeting in Paris, FATF had placed Pakistan under “grey list” subject to direct monitoring and intense scrutiny by International Cooperation Review Group till June 2018 for compliance of Anti-Money Laundering and Combating Finance of Terrorism regulations.
10. (b) Vietnam
To propagate cultural ties between India and Vietnam, 10 Vietnamese artists are collaborating with their Indian counterparts for a new exhibition as part of the Vietnam-India Artists' Camp on March 3, 2018. The show, organised by SEHER in association with Embassy of Vietnam and India International Centre, will coincide with the India visit of Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang.
11. (a) Chandigarh
Civil Aviation Minister P Ashok Gajapathi Raju on February 27, 2018 inaugurated a first of its kind, Aviation Multi Skill Development Centre at the Chandigarh Old Airport Terminal building. The centre is a Corporate Social Responsibility initiative of the Airports Authority of India.
12. (b) Chilika Lake
The Chilika lake in Odisha has emerged as the single largest habitat of Irrawaddy dolphins in the world with the spotting of 155 such animals. Chilika Development Authority, Chief Executive Susanta Nanda stated that the number is more compared to the last year's figure of around 100 dolphins during the annual census.