The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on 5 July 2016 launched MySpeed mobile application for measuring real time mobile Internet speed of consumers.
The idea behind the app is that customers should know about the experience of their as well as other networks in order to select the best mobile operator in their locality. This is the first application to be launched under the Digital India initiative which is directly trying to tackle the issue of poor data speeds.
Highlights of the portal
• The MySpeed app is a free to download, and is currently available only for Android smartphones.
• It takes up 23MB after it is installed on the phone.
• The interface is clutter-free and easy to follow.
• In terms of graphics, MySpeed looks pretty basic in comparison to the most popular speed testing app Speedtest.
• It allows users to report poor mobile network to TRAI, which will eventually help the regulator assess the service quality of an operator.
• Consumers using this app can check the speed of their 3G or 4G connection or the home broadband’s Wi-Fi speed.
• The application allows user to send coverage, data speed and network information along with device and location to a TRAI analytics portal.
• The app is a kind of crowd-sourcing initiative to check network performance of all the mobile operators.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App