Donald Trump, the President-elect of the United States of America (USA), on 23 November 2016 named South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley as the US Ambassador to the United Nations. With this, Haley becomes the first non-white female cabinet-level official to be appointed within the Trump administration.
She will be serving Carolina as its Governor until her nomination is not confirmed by the Senate.
Besides Nikki Haley, President-elect Trump also named Betsy DeVos as education secretary of the country. DeVos is a billionaire education philanthropist and activist.
While naming the two, Trump praised the two appointees. In a statement he said, ‘Haley was a proven deal maker and we look to be making plenty of deals’ and ‘Devos was a brilliant and passionate education advocate’.
Interesting Fact: Both, Haley and DeVos, opposed Trump during the campaign. De Vos spent much of the year raising money for other Republicans’ for the election.
• She is the daughter of Indian immigrants
• She was a vocal critic of Trump on the campaign trail
• The 44-year-old has been characterised as a rising star within the Republican Party is the youngest Governor in the US.
• She has served America as the 116th Governor of South Carolina since 2011.
• She is also the first woman and first minority governor of South Carolina.
• She is the second Indian-American, after Bobby Jindal, to serve as governor in the US.
• She was the prominent leader, who pushed for the removal of the Charleston battle flag from the South Carolina State House after the deadly church shooting in Charleston in June 2015.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Open Defecation in India: All north-eastern states to become ODF by December 2018
Union Agriculture Ministry launches NCDC’s 'Yuva Sahakar Scheme' to promote young entrepreneurs
ISRO successfully launches communication satellite GSAT-29
India, Morocco sign agreement for assistance in legal and commercial matters