The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 8 Februay 2017 was apprised of the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and France.
The MoU seeks to augment bilateral cooperation in the fields of science, technology and innovation.
The MoU was signed between the Technology Development Board (TDB) and Bpifrance. While the TDB works under the Department of Science and Technology (DST) of the Union Ministry of Sceience and Technology, Bpifrance is a public investment bank in France.
Highlights of the India-France MoU
• The agreement aims to carry out activities related to exchange of best practices in the fields of science, technology and innovation through the TDB and Bpifrance.
• The agreement ensures the exchange of best practices and setting up of coordinated measures to foster technological exchanges between both the countries.
• The MoU facilitates collaboration between companies, organizations and institutions of France and India that are involved in research and development activities.
Relations between India and France
• Relations between India and France have traditionally been close and friendly.
• With the establishment of strategic partnership in 1998, there has been a significant progress in all areas of bilateral cooperation through regular high-level exchanges.
• A landmark agreement on civil nuclear cooperation was signed between India and France on 30 September 2008 during the visit of Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh to France.
• Subsequently, during the visit of President Nicolas Sarkozy to India in December 2010, the General Framework Agreement and the Early Works Agreement between NPCIL and Areva for implementation of EPR NPP Units at Jaitapur were signed.
• France has consistently supported India’s increasing role in international fora, including India’s permanent membership in United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
• The Indo-French CEOs Forum, formed in 2009, has been tasked to identify new avenues for cooperation and take initiatives to facilitate business links between both countries.
When: 8 February 2017