Union Cabinet Decisions: 13 March 2019
The Union Cabinet approved the issuance of statutory notifications for the General Elections to the Lok Sabha 2019 under sub-section (2) of Section 14 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951. The Lok Sabha election 2019 schedule was announced by the Election Commission on March 10, 2019.
Cabinet approves issue of Notifications for Lok Sabha Elections 2019
• The Union Cabinet approved the issuance of statutory notifications for the General Elections to the Lok Sabha 2019 under sub-section (2) of Section 14 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
• The sub-section (2) provides for calling upon the parliamentary constituencies to elect Members to the House of the People, on the dates to be recommended by the Election Commission of India in its Proceedings.
• The issuing of notifications would begin the election process for constituting the Seventeenth House of the People.
• The Lok Sabha election 2019 schedule was announced by the Election Commission on March 10, 2019.
• The elections will be held in seven phases across the country starting from April 11 and the final result will be out of May 23, 2019.
Cabinet approves accession of India to Nice Agreement, Vienna Agreement, and Locarno Agreement
• The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on March 13, 2019 approved accession of India to Nice Agreement, Vienna Agreement, and Locarno Agreement.
• The Nice Agreement concerns the International classification of Goods and Services for the purposes of registration of marks.
• The Vienna Agreement is about establishing an International Classification of the figurative elements of marks.
• The Locarno Agreement seeks to establish an International classification for industrial designs.
• Accession to the Nice, Vienna and Locarno Agreements will help the Intellectual Property Office in India to harmonise the classification systems for examinational of trademark and design applications.
• It would give an opportunity to include Indian designs, figurative elements and goods in the international classification systems.
• The accession would also facilitate in exercising rights in decision making processes regarding review and revision of the classifications under the agreement.
Cabinet approves Promulgation of Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli Civil Courts (Amendment) Regulation, 2019
• The Union Cabinet approved Promulgation of the Daman and Diu Civil Courts (Amendment) Regulation, 2019, and the Dadra and Nagar Haveli (Civil Courts and Miscellaneous Provisions) Amendment Regulation, 2019.
• The promulgation was approved under the Article 240 of the Indian Constitution.
• The move will be helpful in bringing uniformity in Judicial Service.
• It will help overcome the difficulties being faced by the litigants in travelling to Mumbai for filing appeals due to existing limited financial jurisdiction.
• The enhanced pecuniary jurisdiction will accelerate the justice delivery system, and will make it easier for litigants without having to travel outside the Union Territory.