Union Government approved Smart National Common Mobility Card model for seamless travel across India
The smart card will enable commuters to travel by different metros and other transport systems across the country besides retail shopping and purchases.
The Union Ministry of Urban Development on 1 September 2015 gave approval for Smart National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) model for seamless travel across India.
The model will enable commuters to travel by different metros and other transport systems across the country besides retail shopping and purchases.
Features of Smart National Common Mobility Card (NCMC)
• It is based on EMV Open Loop Card system with stored value model.
• It meets travel needs based on stored value of money and can be used for travelling by any means of transport and also enables account based retail applications.
• The model is an improved version of nationwide common card prevalent in Singapore.
• The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) will be involved in indigenous development and management of Clearing and Settlement of payments, Simulating Cards, Terminals and network, a support base of vendors for providing certified tools, cards, terminals and other services.
• The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) will develop the standards and hardware for Metro gates/validators along with related ecosystems.
• Funding of 4.47 crore rupees approved by the ministry for developing the model.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App