The Union Government gave its approval to change the name of Gurgaon to Gurugram.
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on 27 September 2016 announced that the city as well as the district of Gurgaon will now onwards be known as Gurugram.
Also known as the Millennium City, Gurgaon is recognized both nationally and globally as an industrial, information technology, software and corporate hub.
• The Haryana Government in April 2016 had decided to rename Gurgaon as Gurugram.
• In addition, it also decided to rename Mewat as Nuh.
• State CM Manohar Lal Khattar had accorded approval to the proposal.
• The decision to change the name of Gurgaon was taken on the basis of the representations received at several forums by the people of Gurgaon.
• The city’s name change stems from a proposal by the municipal corporation in 2012. A committee had been formed to address the issue.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App